How to Develop a Roaring Self Confidence in You - Part -2

@VaibhavJ (Believe!! Live your dreams!)   (33511 Points)

30 December 2012  

How to develop a Roaring Self confidence in You – Part -2

So some of you must be wondering where us Roarr!!! You will definitely roar at the end of the session trust me.

Quick Recap of what you know about Self Confidence.

(Link to part-1 if you wanna read in detail: /forum/how-to-develop-a-roaring-self-confidence-in-you-8211-part-1-232836.asp#.UNvvRG-yCvw)

-          The most important step in building self confidence is simply to take action. Sitting at home and thinking about it will just make you feel worse.

-          Face your fear. You must do the thing you think you cannot do.

-          Prepare and you will feel more comfortable and confident

-          Failure won’t kill you. Nor will being wrong. The sky will not fall down. That’s just what people that haven’t faced their fear yet think.

-          When you know more about who you are and what you want out of life – not other people say you want – you will have more confidence in yourself and what you can do.

So now relax, journey is about begin so concentrate & if you can’t come back again when you are ready to get succeed in your life. I know you are still here, so lets start.

First before knowing what it takes to be a confident lets quickly find out what stops you from becoming confident.

F E A R ! it is the one thing which stops you from acting confident even though you are all prepared.

A practical exercise to find out FEAR in you – Exercise -1:

(Please note before starting with this exercise I will suggest to focus on here with all your senses, otherwise you may not be able to get optimum outcome from this exercise which is intended also take paper & pencil to  note down.)

So lets search where is fear lying in you. First try to recollect the last time when you was lacking confident viz. while giving speech or presentation, talking to your boss or unknown person, performing on stage, asking for an address to stranger & so on.

Now you know the situation where you were less of confident because of some fear in you. Now we will make a deep dive in yourself & find out that fear in you which is a roadblock for you being confident. Lest first analyze the state of your mind when you was lack of confident. Relax I know it sounds difficult but not impossible though. Yes you can do it. First read through & do the exercise there after immediately. So you need to close your eyes & try to find out what you were feeling from inside at that moment when you was in above situation:

-          what thoughts were coming in your mind (note it down)

-          what was your body temperature, wasn’t that going up or down

-          how was your breathing & heart beats, wasn’t that very fast & abnormal

-          and more importantly what command was given to you by your mind, ‘stop, you can’t do it

So now you have found out & seen YOUR fear from very close. Stay there for few more moment and make yourself more familiar with it.

This fear has got into your neural system & thought process. Whenever you are about to face similar situation it strikes without your knowledge & makes you nervous, making your body go cold and your voice tone to low. We will use dynamic technique called as NLP & Visualization to get rid of from this symptoms.  

What is NLP?

NLP stands for Neuro-Linguistic Programming, a name that encompasses the three most influential components involved in producing human experience: neurology, language and programming. The neurological system regulates how our bodies function, language determines how we interface and communicate with other people and our programming determines the kinds of models of the world we create. Neuro-Linguistic Programming describes the fundamental dynamics between mind (neuro) and language (linguistic) and how their interplay affects our body and behavior (programming).

What is Visualization?

It is a using your mind to create an image of what you want creates a strong impression on the brain and helps improve performance and get results.

Have you ever found yourself crying while watching a sad movie, you know it is not real, but the impression your brain is receiving is real and it produces tears. WHY? Research has shown that the same neuro-pathways in the brain are activated when you vividly imagine experiencing something as when you actually do it.

So NLP & Visualization goes hand in hand. So lets take out that fear in you using this technique step by step, lets do it!

Getting ready to ROARR –  Exercise -2

Athletes apply this principle when imagining having won a competition prior to the actual event. Olympic swimmers, like Michael Phelps, imagine themselves swimming with webbed hands and feet to improve their performance in the water.

Step 1: Let’s start by creating an image of you as if you see yourself from the outside. Just close your eyes for a few moments, try to imagine what you would look like if you saw yourself standing or sitting there, next to your computer, staring at the screen. Imagine the clothes you are wearing right now, the color of your hair and eyes, the facial expressions, the posture, the general look of you in a dissociated image.

So you are seeing who you are & get ready to change yourself.

Step 2: So assume that you have opened an Image Editor e.g. MS Paint or PICASA or PHOTOSHOP. Adjust that image to present a positive look & feel that change in you, even mildly positive. Ignore the little flaws that normally would catch your eyes in the mirror, and see the big picture, you as a whole person, sitting there on the chair, looking at these words, feeling some sort of serenity even just a little bit, it will grow stronger in a few moments.

Keep adjusting the image; play with sub modalities - make the image brighter, make it larger, play a quiet song you like in the background (only in your mind), make your image-self smile softly, enlarge any of your strong and positive characteristics.

The idea in step 2 is to maximize the positive points in you and minimize the negative ones. Keep working on that image, changing small details one at a time to make it a beautiful positive and accurate representation of who you really are. So as you make change in that image, feel that positive change happening to yourself within. The brain does not differentiate between the thought of an action and a real action & you will get result.

Step 3: Exaggerate. We are all doing it in the negative side of our lives, making every little flaw a huge setback, a zit becomes a huge sign saying "look at me", the few cellulites on our belly makes us believe everyone are starring at our fat-self.

Of course it’s not real, so why not doing it for our own benefit? Exaggerate the positive sides of you. You have eyes that everyone adores? Make them brighter and larger. You like your nose best? Focus on it. You have a great sense of humor; imagine how good you’d feel having other people smile from your words. Make it big, sensational and positive. There is no one way better, just play with it.

Step 4: Make that image more powerful by comparing it with the image you made in step 1. You can tell the differences because you did a lot to change the image. What is the difference in feelings? Where are those feelings located? Compare the images and approve to yourself that the second image, the more positively powerful one, is the one you’d like to keep with you today.

This is not a one-time-fix exercise. You will want to practice and play with this short by powerful exercise as many times as you need. It is especially useful when you want to lighten up your day, maybe after an emotional event, a time when you feel down and want to cheer up. It is a simple but useful way to make you feel good, for a change

So here I explained 2 tricks & in next part I will explain how with the help of one more super effective technique we can roar all the way, any time & that too instantly. So meanwhile keep rocking!!

Thanks for reading!!

Source: Self Experience & Web.So some of you must be wondering where us Roarr!!! You will definitely roar at the end of the session trust me.

(PS: I have tried to keep this short but cant cut important part. So please bear with me & please share your views after practical excercise. You can PM me for any sort of clarification)