Gst from builder perspective

Dear Members, I own a small construction business and would like to understand few things about the Input Tax Credit and GST in general.. I am currently going to build a 7200 SQFT property , out of which only 1700 SQFT property is planned for sale. My construction cost is estimated around 1300/SQFT , out of which 60% goes towards material and remaining 40% goes towards labor.. Since, I am doing this construction in Tier 3/4 town so not all vendors ( Labors and Material suppliers ) are GST complaint.. Assume the GST payable from my end on all viable Inputs is 150 /SQFT ( or 10.80 Lakhs) Below are my questions and it would be great to know your advice: 1) What should I do when a supplier or vendors( Material and Labor contractors) don't have GST number ? Do I still go ahead and pay GST on their behalf ? If yes, how can I do this and whether this GST payable amount would be considered towards ITC refund ? 2) Since 1700 SQFT is planned for sale, hence GST received at 12% is 7.2 Lakhs.. My taxes paid to Input material and labor is 10.8 L, whereas taxes received from customer is 7.2 L, how does the ITC math work in this case ? Do I owe Govt or the Govt owes me a refund ? 3) What happens with the Unsold part ( 5500 SQFT), do I owe the GST on this property ? I am unable to understand the math in this scenario - I know that if the Input taxes paid ( say 100 ) are lower and output taxes received ( say 140) are higher than the net amount owed to govt is the difference ( 140-100 =40) .. In my case, the situation is reversed, hence need advice ! 4) Last question : Whether the Govt provides a physical refund (actual cheque ) or its just an adjustment in some ledgers ? Thanks for your time and interest in reading the question .. I look forward to hear from you..
Replies (1)

My answers are as below:

1. What should I do when a supplier or vendors (Material and Labor contractors) don't have GST number? Do I still go ahead and pay GST on their behalf ? If yes, how can I do this and whether this GST payable amount would be considered towards ITC refund

A. You need to pay GST under Reverse Charge Mechanism and same can be taken as ITC since you are registered under GST 

2) Since 1700 SQFT is planned for sale, hence GST received at 12% is 7.2 Lakhs.. My taxes paid to Input material and labor is 10.8 L, whereas taxes received from customer is 7.2 L, how does the ITC math work in this case ? Do I owe Govt or the Govt owes me a refund ?

A. If your ITC > Output GST, you can claim refund before expiry of six months from last day of Quarter in which such supply was received.

3) What happens with the Unsold part ( 5500 SQFT), do I owe the GST on this property ?

A. You will have to pay GST whenever you sell this part.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
Accounts and Tax Associate

POOJA R TELI & CO

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured ARTICLESHIP 06 October 2026
Semi Qualified

AJAY SINGH AND CO LLP

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 08 October 2026
ARTICLE TRAINEE

S.B.G. & CO. CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details