Equity trading - business / capital gain

Dear All;

I have done some equity trading on NSE listed shares over two months regularly. For Income Tax Return I will have to file ITR 4 and show Equity Trading as my Business Income / Loss, correct me if wrong. But, recently my colleague brought me a thought that, equity trading can be shown as Income / Loss from Capital Gain / Loss (Short Term) instead of Business Income. Now, I'm bit confused:

Wheather to show Equity Trading as Capital Gains or Business Income in ITR.

Please help me out. Thanks

Replies (4)

Dear, if u are trading in cash segment and trading without delivery of shares(i.e.on same day)  than it is income from business (speculation), however if you are taking delivery than it wil constitute short or long term, depending on period of holding.

And if you are dealing in futures & options, it will constitute Income from business.

The ghain loss from intrday transactions are Business Gain/loss and the gains from Interday transactions are STCG/LTCG.

Use this excel sheet 

PS - Exel file for Share gains calculation...

 

Thankyou for reply, CA Saurabh and Saurabh;

I usually take delivery of shares in cash and sell them after a day or two. 

Infact I also have Commission Income from another profession. So, I thought I can file ITR 4 for share trading and show the Commission earned as other income in Equity trading business. As I have loss this year, I can carry forward the loss (net of Income from Comission) for next 8 years under ITR. Correct me if wrong. 

My only point is, should I show Equity trading as business loss (net of Commission) or show it as Short Term Capital Loss.

Please help.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Aviv Global Private Limited

Ahmedabad

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
04 September 2026
CA inter Or ca finalist

A Jaiswal and company

Lucknow

CA Final

View Details