Do I require a separate GSTIN for each state if only purchase & selling but no physical building ?

Being a proprietor doing export primary location from ‘Rajasthan’ my home.

I will be only buying from suppliers of Delhi, Mumbai, and other different states so do I need to obtain multiple GSTIN for each of these states even if I don’t have any physical office, branch, warehouse, or store located at all these states from where I am buying etc..

Replies (2)
Quick Summary
A business owner based in Rajasthan, primarily involved in exports, is seeking clarification on GST registration requirements. They purchase goods from suppliers in various states like Delhi and Mumbai but have no physical presence (office, warehouse, etc.) in those states. The core question is whether a separate GSTIN is required for each state they purchase from, or if their existing Rajasthan GST registration suffices for inter-state transactions.

If you hv a cgst and sgst number then both are possible.

Hello sabyasachi,

I didn't understand, I am not aware that CGST and SGST have a separate number.

So, are you telling that once I register for GST from Rajasthan (my home town) then I will be getting CGST and SGST numbers and I can use that number for every state and so do not require to register a separate GSTIN for each state? 

or 

you are telling me that for each state I will require SGST number and the CGST number will remain the same so while registering for GST initially I will get GSTIN number, CGST number, and SGST number (for Rajasthan state) and then after depending on the state specific transaction I have to obtain that State-specific SGST number ?

correct me if my understanding is wrong. somebody told me that this State specific GSTIN number expires after 180 days ?

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
09 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA / CA Inter - 2 Groups Cleared

Getmyca Consultant Pvt Ltd

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
04 September 2026
CA inter Or ca finalist

A Jaiswal and company

Lucknow

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Article Assistant

SGNG & Associates

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details