Challenge to ca finalists

Replies (16)
Option 2 should be chosen.

Ans

a. Without having cash inflow details, how can IRR be calculated??? If yes, please provide the solution.

b. Method B will be chosen because PV of NCO of B is lower than PV of NCO of A. It will save approx Rs. 63330/- in PV terms.

the cashflows given are already the difference between the inflows are outflows...i.e net flow is given..rest is easy

@ Ubaid:

Please provide the solution if you know the answer for pt a. I know that net cash outflow is provided. But you cannot have negative irr as far as I think. It is not that easy as it seems to be.

i know its not easy...the 2nd part is easy...i think u are wrong about "irr cant be negative"

Okk I might be wrong. I had an opinion that irr cannot be negative (Which already i have mentioned as i think.) But I want the solution for part a. Part b already I answered. And I felt that easy. My opinion was wrt pt a. Do you have answer for pt a, then please provide the solution as I want to know how it is to be solved? 

p.s this solution might be incorrect...u are the best judge..

i used this working

0= -300000 - (66000/1.R + 66000/1.R2.......)

by doing that i got the R as -3% in method one

i understand that using negative IRR in a real life situation feels impracticle but heres what i got.

I just confirmed this query from a caclub expert/professor....he said if all npvs are -ve,there cannot be an IRR..and i agree

The formula of IRR is [P1/(1+IRR)^1 + P2/(1+IRR)^2 + P3/(1+IRR)^3 + . . . +Pn/(1+IRR)^n] - P0 =0

There will not be any IRR in the given case according to me.

@ Ubaid: 

The working that you showed should have 1+r and not 1.r? Correct me if I m wrong

According to me, IRR will not be possible in case of all positive or all negative values.

Experts, correct me if I m wrong?

1.r = 1+r dude... for e.g my rate is 10% 

so 1.r = 1.1 and 1+r = 1+ 0.1 = 1.1

and yeah u are absolutely right....btw the formula u showed is the same thing i did...

@ Ubaid:

Ok . I thought u used "." as a multiplication sign. So I clarified. Anyways thanks that you mean the same.

 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
29 September 2026
Work at home

Lottery.sambad.tv

Bhopal

Others

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Semi-Qualified Assitant

Subrahmanyam & Sivudu CA Firm

Hyderabad

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details