Capital gain exemption

Hi Experts,

I booked a residential apartment during pre-launch in a Gurgaon in May 2008. I paid 95% until April 2012 but still waiting for the poseession. Finally I sold the apartment to an individual in December 2012 (received part payments during September, October, November and final payment in December) and made a capital again around INR 17 lacs (without indexation). It is to be noted that buyer did not deduct any TDS.

My first quesiton is : Does it consider to be LTCG being over 3 years of booking? If so will the indexation apply?

I have booked another apartment in Greater Noida in September and paid around INR 5.05 lacs and INR 17.14 lacs in December 2012.

My second question is : How to show this in ITR? Do I need to apply for tax exemption to my ITO under section 54?

My understanding was not to show anywhere if it is a LTGC as I have invested in CG within 6 months in another project before the end of Assessment year.

Please guide me. I do file my own tax returns and I am an NRI.

Replies (6)

Dear Mr. Rajeev,

It will be considered as LTCG and you can claim exemption u/s 54 in the return for the F.Y. 2012-13.

Thanks Neil. Noted I will go thru ITR format to see where to show the LTCG and claim 100% exemption. So it is clear if the apartment is not delivered for possession after 3 year and if one sells it it becomes LTCG.

Isnt the LTCG calculated from possesion rather than registration date.?

In case the registration is not done i.e. no paperwork formality has been done then in that case possession is considered as transfer and in such case it will be relevant date.

I had bought a underconsrtruction property and had completed the registration, but got the possession after 3 years of registration. I then sold the property one year after possession, what will be my tax liability then.

well in my case only 95% payment is paid. i only received the possession e-mail after the transfer completed. I am taking my case as LTCG let ITO decide what he feels. In any case i invested my entire capital gain into new property.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Article Assistant

SGNG & Associates

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Articles

Saini Pati Shah & Co LLP, Chartered Accountants

Mumbai

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details