Easy Office

CA Results Manipulation

Page no : 3

Gurpreet Singh Samby (CA Final) (81 Points)
Replied 21 January 2010

And i forgot to add another thing. As far as speaking in English or framing sentences is concerned, have you ever heard our "respected" president UPA talk in English???

Its absolute crap! I wonder how he became a CA himself. He's supposed to be representing the Indian CA fraternity and he's an absolute disgrace!

There really seems to be no standard in the checking of papers. God save us all!

ANIRBAN DAS (CMA, B.Com, CA Final,) (1522 Points)
Replied 21 January 2010

what was the ultimate result of this discussion?.... did it effect any body?! THose who have passed are still jubiliating and those who failed are moaning or else consoling themselves that " We will pass next time!" Actually there are two sides to every coin, so it can't be specifically stated that which view of the matter is correct or wrong....whether there is manipulation or not....few days ago some one told me that if there are too amny CAs they will go unemployed like the rest......so what to believe or not to believe!....

Komal (CA Final Student) (83 Points)
Replied 21 January 2010

Plz raangdi ji open ur eyes...u ve cleared tats y u r sayin so i guess...the plight of those who didnt despite putting lots and lots of effort might be endless..

uma.. (CA FINAL) (612 Points)
Replied 21 January 2010

helloo

everyone, actually the discussion on this topic , i think would not lead to any output

if manipulation exists, we dont have capacity to stop it n moreover nobody would like to leave ca profession because of the same

n if it does not exists the topic ends

so i think we should concentrate more on our studies n training

Santhosh Poojary (SIEMPRE AHÍ PARA TI) (15607 Points)
Replied 21 January 2010

Rangdi Bangdi........ pls think once again before giving any speech........

Waiting! (PCC) (40 Points)
Replied 21 January 2010

"There really seems to be no standard in the checking of papers." Very true. Just because some group of students pass and some fail, or just because the pass percentage is too damn low,   the institute  claims that it has been maintaining standards!!! What kinda "standards"..i guess only they know..

Satya Narayan (asdsad) (176 Points)
Replied 22 January 2010

They do manipulate the marks. I know first hand. Couple of year ago I saw myself in Institute. In ICWAI  exam I got failed because they  shown absent instead of  exempted. I gone to Head office ( sudder street calcutta ) and talked to exam secretary and shown him my exemption letter etc. He readily agreed to correct it and called some staff  . He given him instruction to fix  that error and exam secretary left his chamber . The  staff asked me to follow  him to another office . While he was changing my marks on system I saw in cost audit  my marks was  69 whereas my mark sheet was showing 59 and just next to my roll ,  my friend' marks was 48 and his mark sheet was 38 ( I knew his marks ) . Then suddenly a Sr officer came to room and scolded me why did  I  enter this room but Jr staff ( who took me there ) asked me leave the room and  wait outside. They were fighting inside in Bengali and I could understand that they were saying why he allowed me to come inside that special room.

After 30-40 minutes they came out and given me mark sheet with pass . All marks were still the same and  just they replaced absent with Exempted marks. I was happy to pass the exam and pretended that I did not see the actual marks. But I can tell you they  do manipulate the marks as per their perceived demand. If they feel otherwise ( as they claim ) then they can earn some money by giving you  the xerox copy of your answer sheet. But they have never given it and will never give you the copy. Try invoking RTI . 

Oh yes, this instance was for ICWAI but we all know they are cousin and  share some common DNA.

1 Like

Sharangdhar (CPA CISA exp in IFRS )   (264 Points)
Replied 22 January 2010

Satya Narayanan; Bring this story on TV. You will get blessings of thousands of students.

Satya Narayan (asdsad) (176 Points)
Replied 22 January 2010

Originally posted by : Sharangdhar
Satya Narayanan; Bring this story on TV. You will get blessings of thousands of students.

It's not  new , every senior knows this except those who are/were  rank holders. Some one has to defend institute's practice too. I have just one question what is the problem in giving copy  ( xerox ) to student ?  You do return the  Sunday test paper then what is the problem with real exam copy ? System is in place and it will surely improve the performance of  student. Nobody is questing the way of checking the copy , but at least let me know how I performed ? What is the problem in showing my copy ?  ICAI is saying I scored 29 in say tax  paper. Ok let me see my paper which question got how much mark ?  I am OK with 29 , but at least let  me see and it is possible that I may not change my style of answering and  will fail again. I want to change/improve but where ?   That's question institute should answer.

Ganesh.S.Kumar (Consulting Executive) (852 Points)
Replied 22 January 2010

it's known to everyone that manipulation does exist but few people who have passed do not agree to it for many reasons known to them.now we have to decice what stepd we can take to prevent such manipulation.invoking RTI and asking for a photocopy will not be the solution.instead of just elaborationg the problem please come out with suggestions as to how we can tackle the problem.

Harish (CS Executive) (386 Points)
Replied 22 January 2010

???????????

Harish (CS Executive) (386 Points)
Replied 22 January 2010

If anyone can prove that manipulations do not exist, I will cut myself into two pieces and gift him.  Those who are ignoring this fact please remember this line "TRUTH TASTES ALWAYS BITTER THAT IS WHY IT IS DIFFICULT TO DIGEST". 

ARKA (COMMERCIAL MANAGER) (70 Points)
Replied 22 January 2010

Hi everyone -- I post a mail which I had sent to our Hon and Dear President who is doing so much for the student's fraternity. No wonder no response has come and Neither do I expect the same but still some one has to take the battle to the other side.

Sir,

With reference to the captioned subject and with deep sorrow and regret I would like to point out to you the disastrous results of the CA Final Nov 2009 examinations. The results this time defies all logic and sense. The statistics show that the pass percentage is declining rapidly in the last 2 to 3 terms. The marks obtained in some specific subjects seem to follow a particular pattern and trend and not at all commensurate to the expectations of the students thereby causing considerable frustration amongst them.

One might definitely argue that the low pass out percentage depends entirely on the student fraternity and I would also tend to agree to this. However, with my own experience with the marks obtained, its hard to take this view all the time. Moreover, the total opaqueness of the entire examination system is casting considerable doubts amongst the students that not all is well in the entire process. You as the Honorable President of this Prestigious Institute and the Guardian of the entire profession ( both Members and Students) cannot absolve yourself form this disastrous results. Ironically, it is also observed that the pass percentage in Gr 2 is always low than Gr 1 and the trend is continuing for the past 2 to 3 terms. This time, its been the worst. By doing this, indirectly I feel that we are not helping the profession. Instead, we are slowly killing it more so ever when so many other alternative career options are available now a days.

I would therefore request your goodself to kindly look into the matter and take steps to bring in some system which shall infuse certain degree of confidence amongst the students. We should all remember that all CAs present or past were students themselves at some point of time. It hurts to see disturbing views floating around in web forums which I am sure does not augur well for this Great Profession.

Regards

Sharangdhar (CPA CISA exp in IFRS )   (264 Points)
Replied 22 January 2010

Originally posted by : Satya Narayan

Originally posted by : Sharangdhar

It's not  new , every senior knows this except those who are/were  rank holders. Some one has to defend institute's practice too. I have just one question what is the problem in giving copy  ( xerox ) to student ?  You do return the  Sunday test paper then what is the problem with real exam copy ? System is in place and it will surely improve the performance of  student. Nobody is questing the way of checking the copy , but at least let me know how I performed ? What is the problem in showing my copy ?  ICAI is saying I scored 29 in say tax  paper. Ok let me see my paper which question got how much mark ?  I am OK with 29 , but at least let  me see and it is possible that I may not change my style of answering and  will fail again. I want to change/improve but where ?   That's question institute should answer.

If the ICAI gives answer sheets to students along with the result, I do not think much will change. If they are manipulating marks towards the end of the checking and grading phase now; they will probably manipulate them right at the time the answer paper is checked. And no one can question, especially for theoratical questions, as to why is he given 4 marks out of 10 for a particular question, and why not 7.

BUT.....

But yes; I think if students at large take this initiative to bring this change to the system and demand their answer sheets to be given to them along with results, there will still be a great deal of increase in confidence among students and more importantly, the ICAI people won't be able to do baseless manipulations.

There should be an action like this from the students.

ARKA (COMMERCIAL MANAGER) (70 Points)
Replied 22 January 2010

Correct. All students should flood the Institute with similar demands for copies of the answer scriptts so that the mandarins out there can wake up from the gross malpractices being followed. Friends, I have been reading inthis forum views contrary to that expressed by the majority and I also would tend to agree with them. But the point is if the valuations are not correct then, what is the guarantee that in subsequent attempts also, students shall not be victimized. Even after wirting a paper well, if the results come out unfavourably, then, what is the remedy? Let the students get marks striclty on merit and nothing else. Even if that means failing, I would not mind. But the question is currently there is total lack of transparency and people in future cannot be confident even after giving exams nicely. There has to be a solution and remedy for this and I do hope that the Institute people get to know the feelings of students writing in this forum in some way or the other.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro