Easy Office

CA Results Manipulation

Page no : 2

Vinay Keni (CA Job) (92 Points)
Replied 19 January 2010

Mr rangdi

to best of my knowledge i have heard that in Nagpur Mr UPA has made a statement saying "i will see to that the CA results will be restricted to some percentage " when he doesn't have a right to control the results then how can he pass such a remarks

Akshat Sharaf (Deloitte Forensics) (360 Points)
Replied 19 January 2010

its all about being presumptive.. we sure cannot judge the institute itself.. though i sure agree that the marking and passing percentage seems to depict a flaw.. infact a major flaw..

our president might not be against the student.. but what all decisions has been taken have turned out to be against the students.. that cannot be overlooked..

the institute has been following the same pattern for the past 60 years.. everyone has gone through this.. we aren't the only lot.. the passing percentage really is a shame.. i am of the view that majority of the students are well qualified to become CAs.. you can't disagree.. still they don't clear it.. they take many attempts.. and in this lithargic process.. they QUIT!

anyway.. this is what i feel.. my views..

1 Like

Akshat Sharaf (Deloitte Forensics) (360 Points)
Replied 19 January 2010

Originally posted by : Rahul Jain

@ Mr Rangdi

you may need to look at regulation 39(2) of Chartered Accountants Regulations, 1988 that read as follows:

" The Council may, in its discretion, revise the marks obtained by all candidates or a section of candidates in any particular paper or papers or in the aggregate in such manner as may be considered necessary, for maintaining the standards of pass percentage provided in these Regulations." 

hope it clarifies...........

CA.Deepak Gaba (Chartered Accountant) (354 Points)
Replied 19 January 2010

Dear All,

Who could not clear in this attempt,

Join

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/costingbyparaggupta/

for better results

CA Rahul Jain (CA) (1162 Points)
Replied 19 January 2010

Chartered Accountant Regulations, 1988 attached....

Attached File : 9 ca regulations.pdf downloaded: 186 times

Ashwin Gehi (Oracle financials functional consultant)   (37 Points)
Replied 19 January 2010

hi everyone...

wht al i wana contribute to d senario is m damn confident abt manipulation in results...

if u Ppl can recal, last time, PCC result ws delayed by 1 long day at d 11th hr...

i gt to knw frm one f close frnd at mumbai, dat in n seminar at mumbai immediately after dat PCC result, UPA accidently confessed abt d basic reson to delay d result ws manipulation of results........

Aishwarya (CA Final) (340 Points)
Replied 19 January 2010

UPA or no UPA.  Just tell me, were the results so good  & the  pass percent high before Mr.UPA became the president?. I am not defending  anyone here. Let us stop whining over and start taking steps to clear our exams rather than blaming it on someone else or the system as a whole. As said, if only 7-8% can clear the exams let us be the one amongst that 7-8%.

And do you think this happens only with ICAI? Wake up guys. The whole world conspires against you in every move you make.  

Moreover we knew & heard about all these manipulations (am not sure if  it is really happening or not) even before we entered the CA student world. Then why complain now? This IS the domain of CA & every soul here has crossed this to reach success.

I am sorry to say this. In my personal opinion students lack standard heavily. You want examples?! Just spare some time and go through these forums. There are so many students who just can’t frame a single sentence right. But this institute is the one which produces quality professionals every year. So stringent quality measures are necessary.

Last but not the least, has any Rank Holder or a candidate who passed in first attempt ever said ‘oh! I passed the exam easy peasy’… They ONLY say we WORKED HARD.  We have two options. One, complain and curse the system & its president. Two, save that time, study for the exams and clear them. It is for us to choose.

1 Like

abcde (Practice) (116 Points)
Replied 20 January 2010

There is something called normal curve in statistics. If you consider an examinee population of over 35000 sufficiently large, then there is no sampling error due to the size. In that case, the November 09 exam results  % and pattern must bear a normal resemblence with the past few years' exams, if the underlying conditions did not change substantially.

Statistically, it is hard to defend 8% results of the last exam compared to over 22 % a few years ago. Either the papers set this once were tough (which was hardly the case), or the correction standards became stringent (which again should not and cannot be the case with so many examiners spread over geographically over various zones) or, more likely, the results were artificially moderated. Someone here does not now there is something called "moderation process" before the exam results are declared. You have to be totally logically-challenged or an already qualified insenstive CA or a die-hard believer in the system that does keeps shifting and varying the length of  the finishing line or the standards of passing in a whimsical manner.

Let us not talk about the drafting skills or presentation skills dropping substantially over years - they have not.  In CA exams, especially in Costing , MICS,  the correct usage of english may not matter much. Let us not even suggest that the students 2 years ago were more intelligent than this lot. Over a long period, the syllabus may change, but if someone passed CA exam 5 years back under the old syllabus with 10% results, then to be fair and consistent, this year, next year, 10 years down the line, we must present the students with the same level of difficulty or obstacles  (neither more, nor less) while setting the paper, evaluating the papers and declaring the results, because the population characteristics do not change substanitally except over a very long time. We are taught how important the consistency is there for credibility.

As a student, my pet lines were : "In life's exam when I learnt all the answers, they changed the question paper". Now, my pet peeve is : " In life's exam, when I learnt all the answers and tackled all the question papers with no options, they still failed me by changing and drastically reducing the passing percentage."

Hard not to dispair for students who did not clear or who failed due to a huge gap between their fair expectations and actual marks. Hard for them to go back to studies and believe that they will not be the victim of arbiterary thinking next time.There is a change in guard at the intitute. My appeal to the new Council Members : Tread softly and carefully for you tread on some very tender young hearts. If you dont stem the rot, noone will hold you responsible. Except your OWN childeren. When they take the exam. Few years down the line. For their sake..

1 Like

Tushar Kumar (Final Student) (37 Points)
Replied 20 January 2010

Hello purush ji kya baat hai..... You should write the exam now.....you will understand it.

Ashwin Gehi (Oracle financials functional consultant)   (37 Points)
Replied 20 January 2010

hey aishwarya,
i personally dnt lik to comment on anybody's analysis,
but fr ur kind information, u may search fr d result analysing sheet already on CACLUB wer u ll find dat results wer close to 24 % b4 UPA stepped in... & its continuesly decreasing...
if m nt wrong den it ws around 9 % dis time!!!
i ws Xpecting atleast 220+ bt hv gt only 161!!!
i may b wrong wth my analysis,which again i dnt think so... but most f dem r complaining d same...
al f dem cant b fool...
correct my if m wrong....

1 Like

Sharangdhar (CPA CISA exp in IFRS )   (264 Points)
Replied 20 January 2010

No matter what happens. People will keep discussing this sh*t on forums and do NOTHING about it. Thats the saddest part of the story. If there is a collective and united action... the world for all CA students will change !

Ritesh (CA Final) (326 Points)
Replied 20 January 2010

Manipulation is a very strong word to use...........So dont know about that.........I just hope that manipulation doesn't happen.............

But bigger point is how to know where we went wrong in Exams so that we can improve upon that since we never get to see our answer sheets.........Even i couldn't clear it this time around but dont know where i went wrong.....The papers i was banking  heavily on got me disappointing marks........I will never ever get to know my mistakes since i cant see my Exam papers again.It has just made me doubting myself now, questioning myself now......

I have read the mentioned regulation and can't understand the purpose behind such regulation........How can one revise marks just for the sake of maintaing pass percentage???

Gurpreet Singh Samby (CA Final) (81 Points)
Replied 20 January 2010

@ Aishwarya

Its true that many aspiring CAs can't even frame proper sentences in English, but the same is true for people who HAVE become CAs.

Forget about English, there are CAs who don't even know basic accounting concepts of making provisions, capitalising or treating as revenue for certain obvious items etc.

I'm saying this from personal experience, whether you believe it or not. What do you have to say about such people becoming CAs? Where had the standards of the institute gone at that time???

1 Like

Waiting! (PCC) (40 Points)
Replied 21 January 2010

@ Gurupreet Singh Samby,

Thats exactly what i wanted to say too. I have seen many of the students as well as CAs who cant speak proper english nor frame  sentences. Then  how did they explain a case law and how did they give their analysis for the case study in a subject like strategic management???? First of all how are they able to write the theory papers!!! And they pass, deserving candidates fail. Cliched but true. How does the examiner value the papers? On what basis??Are they so understanding that they tend to give marks to a student who is unable to express in proper form? Or do they give marks if we write the exact definition that is in the studymaterial???It is still a paradox.

Regards.

mantri shikha (student) (21 Points)
Replied 21 January 2010

Am sure sum manipulation is certainly involved ... the analysis of the CA final results shows that .... Cant they Be true and fair as desired by CA s ....!!!! And how can Mr/ Ms. Rangdi Bangdi be so sure about it .... i Guess he / she cleared in the first attempt .... And i do agree saying we dont manipulate oly asserts the fact further ...Lets hope they have decided a good pass percentage for the coming exams !!! Also hope tht UPA's  term is going to finish soon and we are going to have a good new president atleast better than MR. UPA

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: