Accounting for sale of share in foreign currency

I have purchased some share eg. For eur 100 in foreign currency eur on 31 December 2021 and recorded the same at the rate on date of 31 December. Now I have sold the shares for eur 200 and I need to record the entry in books of account. I have not converted the currency in INR. Will I be recording the sale at the rate of date of transaction and record  the exchange gain loss on sale of share?If not will everything will be treated as only gain on sale of share?

Replies (7)
Quick Summary
This discussion clarifies how to account for the sale of shares purchased in a foreign currency. When selling shares bought in Euros, you should record the transaction at the prevailing INR rate on the sale date. Any difference between the sale price and the original purchase price (translated to INR) will represent the gain or loss on the sale, including any realised exchange gain or loss.

There
need to be two sets of books
1. shares in foreign exchange
2. inr
profit loss to be calculated

Why two sets of books? I am preparing the accounts for the company in INR and I need to give effect to transactions.

Ok not bad! When you purchased you'll record it translated. When you sold it, you'll record it translated. Gain is translated as well.

Thanks yashaswi. That means the exchange loss / gain will be unrealised or you mean full gain based on translated rates will be gain on sale of share.

Yes Mr Tanishq

Since this is your personal income, when you hold it, you have unrealised gains. After sale record realised gain

Not possible

That is a technical issue not accounts 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Trainee/ CMA Trainee

RMA And Associates LLP

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
Accounts and Tax Associate

POOJA R TELI & CO

Pune

CA Inter

View Details