Updated Online video classes available for CA,CS,CMA for May20 and Nov20 batch. Call: 1800-3000-0505

80 C - Tuition fees

shyam sundar (Article Assisstant)     14 June 2010

shyam sundar
Article Assisstant 
 9 likes  183 points

| My Other Post

Are tuition fees paid to professional institutes like icai,icsi and icwai are eligible for deduction under section 80C?

avater

CA Shree Jain (Chartered Accountant)     14 June 2010

CA Shree Jain
Chartered Accountant 
 203 likes  1562 points

View Profile | My Other Post

Fees for Private tuition/Coaching Classes not eligible for deduction u/s. 80C :- The fees should be paid to university, college, school or other educational institution. No deduction available for fees paid for private tuition’s , coaching courses for admission in professional courses or any other type of courses are not covered as that fee is not paid for FULL time education.

1 Like

Sharad Saini (Student)     14 June 2010

Sharad Saini
Student 
 14 likes  286 points

hi,

deduction for full time education is available professional courses like ca , ca are full time courses so no deduction u/s 80C....

(Guest)

Section 80C(xvii) of the I T Act allows deduction for payment of Tuition Fee .The provision is as follows

(xvii) as tuition fees (excluding any payment towards any development fees or donation or payment of similar nature), whether at the time of admission or thereafter,

(a) to any university, college, school or other educational institution situated within India;

(b) for the purpose of full-time education of any of the persons specified in sub-section (4);”

The question is : whether ICAI is a University or College or School or falls within other educational institution .

These terms have not been defined under the I T Act .Therefore plain reading of the I T Act shows that ICAI should not fall within these educational institution.

Secondly, whether Registration Fee or admission fee should fall within definition of tuition Fee is also debatable in absence of definition of tuition fee under the I T Act.

Therefore, in practical sense , assessing officer will disallow the claim of deduction u/s 80C of such payments -registration and admission fee- to ICAI stating that such payments are neither made to any university,college or school nor can it be taken within purview of tuition Fee.

CA course is a distance learning course & not affiliated with UGC so Fee paid for CA course not allowed.

And cs cwa….. also…

Regards

K.Ilayaraja.

2 Like
avater

SIVASIVA (FCA, Future CA)     14 June 2010

SIVASIVA
FCA Future CA 
 538 likes  4930 points

thanks for sharing illayaraja

(Guest)

Welcome Dear......  SIvasiva

Regards

K.Ilayaraja.

1 Like
avater

Ayushraj (Professional)     14 June 2010

Ayushraj
Professional 
 9 likes  120 points

Is Term Fee eligible for deduction u/s 80C?

Is Computer Fee eligible for deduction u/s 80C?

Is Incidental Fee  Computer Fee eligible for deduction u/s 80C?

avater

jitender (ca final )     14 June 2010

jitender
ca final  
 1 likes  51 points

what is the limit u/s 80C for tuition fees

(Guest)

Originally posted by : jitender

what is the limit u/s 80C for tuition fees

Full time education of any two children in any university, college, school or other educational institution, subject to over-all limit of tax deduction under section 80C. The maximum limit for the tuition fees is Rs.100000. That means one can utilize the entire exemption u/s 80c.

avater

jitender (ca final )     14 June 2010

jitender
ca final  
 1 likes  51 points

suppose we have two children &each paying fees rs.100000 then father & mother both can take deduction under this section for rs. 100000 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »