Easy Office
LCI Learning

80 C - Tuition fees

Page no : 2

Kalpesh Chauhan, (Tax Assistant (Accounting Technician CA FINAL CS PROF. PROG. B.Com))   (8310 Points)
Replied 14 June 2010

Originally posted by : Ilayaraja...

Section 80C(xvii) of the I T Act allows deduction for payment of Tuition Fee .The provision is as follows

(xvii) as tuition fees (excluding any payment towards any development fees or donation or payment of similar nature), whether at the time of admission or thereafter,

(a) to any university, college, school or other educational institution situated within India;

(b) for the purpose of full-time education of any of the persons specified in sub-section (4);”

The question is : whether ICAI is a University or College or School or falls within other educational institution .

These terms have not been defined under the I T Act .Therefore plain reading of the I T Act shows that ICAI should not fall within these educational institution.

Secondly, whether Registration Fee or admission fee should fall within definition of tuition Fee is also debatable in absence of definition of tuition fee under the I T Act.

Therefore, in practical sense , assessing officer will disallow the claim of deduction u/s 80C of such payments -registration and admission fee- to ICAI stating that such payments are neither made to any university,college or school nor can it be taken within purview of tuition Fee.

CA course is a distance learning course & not affiliated with UGC so Fee paid for CA course not allowed.

And cs cwa….. also…

Regards

K.Ilayaraja.

Thanks for the information

suresh (Consultant) (31 Points)
Replied 18 June 2010

government is not happy with the exceptions currently provided and at the same time cannot remove completely. So the first step is to move all exceptions under one head and slowly remove items from that head and finally remove that head.

That is the idea for the current proposal of brining housing loan interest, tuition fees under 80C. hope we can enjoy these exception till 2015.

anitha (article) (85 Points)
Replied 18 June 2010

Good going Mr.Ilayaraja.Pls continue this great job..:-))))))))

darshan (Professional Accountant)   (95 Points)
Replied 31 July 2010

So under which which section or sub section we can claim our own education fees (not of child). For Courses like CA, CWA, PGD, LLB & other Private Courses as i`m also studying so  I want to know.

Kiran (Service) (30 Points)
Replied 24 November 2010

Fees paid to IGNOU is elegible for deduction u/s. 80C or not? plz. reply.

M .K. Jha (CA Final) (484 Points)
Replied 24 November 2010

Fee paid to ignou is not allowed as Deduction u/s 80C.....

Reason :- Education provided by IGNOU for distance learning or part time Education.....

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: