You can do anything ( Real life story of CS final topper)

Himanshu (Proprietor at H. R. Thacker and Co.)   (1439 Points)

26 April 2011  

Source: https://in.education.yahoo.com/news/yeducareers360/cs-final-exam-topper-sahil-shares-prep-strategy-20110426

AFFECTIONATELY known to friends and family as Sahil, Mahiboob, a CA by profession, always wanted to be a software engineer. But on completing matriculation in 1998, the Y2K prospect made him choose a more popular career combo, BCom, CA and CS. In 2011, he topped the CS Final exam and is now happy to be associated with Oracle, a company that deals with his childhood interest – software.

But life hasn’t been a bed of roses. Sahil hails from a poor family in Bilagi, Karnataka and was a victim of child polio. He shares his career mantra with Merril Diniz: Shift your focus from what you don’t have to what you have.

Fast Facts

Name: Mahiboob Mahalinamani

Level: Company Secretary Final exam

Q. Can you tell us about your family and education.

A. My father Nanasaheb did his Pre-University education and my mom Jannatabhi, a homemaker, did her matriculation. But they fulfilled their dreams through me by giving me a good education. I finished my matriculation at Sri Siddheshwar High School, Bilagi, and did my Pre-University and BCom from SRN Arts & MBS Commerce College, Bagalkot. My uncle Aslam and aunt, Dr Ameena Meer sponsored my educational expenses.

Q. What is your current job?

A. I work as an accountant with Suwega Software Technologies in Bangalore and am deputed to Oracle India. Here I am part of Inbound Royalty Administration team. In this process the partners’ softwares/services will be embedded into Oracle software/services. My role includes Analysis of Various Oracle Partner Agreements, ascertaining Royalty and advising payment to the Accounts Payable Team with necessary approvals. This process poses good challenges for future growth.

Q. Do you face any difficulties due to your physical challenge?

A. Both my lower limbs are in poor condition and when I walk it looks a little different from other people. On my first day at Oracle, my manager Navaneethakrishnan Gopalan suggested I use a wheel chair. Why don’t you save your energy for better things? he asked. Also, the Oracle office has good facilities for specially-abled employees. There are nine floors and I use a wheelchair to move around and a lift to move from one floor to another. From school, up to graduation I used a tricycle to move around.I remember when I entered the school compound, my friends would come running to pick my bag.

Now, I use a customised two-wheeler. However, throughout my life I have met positive, caring people be it my teachers, friends, relatives and colleagues. So, I never felt I am physically challenged. But in my first interview I was a rejection for being a specially-abled person. After that I never looked back. In my résumé, I never mention I am physically challenged unless the job ad asks.

Q. What according to you is the essence of the CS programme?

A. I always dreamt of a good position where I can contribute to the economy. The Company Secretary is the backbone of a company, and on-line compliances of corporate matters by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, has made it more imperative for a Company Secretary to discharge his or her services in the best interest of the country and the economy.