Where to add foreign captial gains in ITR-2?

I have short term capital gains (less than 2 years) from the sale of foreign stocks.  

 

Where should I enter these in ITR-2 in Schedule CG?

I am entering at Captial Gains -> Short Term -> Section 5 (From sale of assets other than A1 or A2 or A3 or A4 above) in the excel utility.

Is this correct?

I am seeing that gains from this Section 5 are getting charged as per applicable rate , so I assumed it is correct , but not 100% sure.  

 

Also gains from  Captial Gains -> Short Term -> Section 2 as well are charged as per applicable rate , but this section mentions that STT is paid for the transation , but may not be true for foreign stocks.

 

Replies (4)
Quick Summary
This discussion clarifies where to report short-term capital gains from foreign stock sales within the ITR-2 form. The consensus is to use Schedule CG, specifically Section 5, for gains where Securities Transaction Tax (STT) was not applicable. It also touches upon reporting gains from Indian debt funds and the importance of filling Schedule FA for foreign shareholdings and Schedule FSI for foreign tax credits if applicable.

Yes, first option is correct.

Thanks Rambhia sir. What about STCG from debt funds in India (which are taxed at applicable rates as well)? 

I guess it is same section [Captial Gains -> Short Term -> Section 5 (From sale of assets other than A1 or A2 or A3 or A4 above) ]. Please correct me if I am wrong. 

 

If it is the one , do I need to combine Debt funds STCG from India and foreign equity STCG and fill them in the same section?  

I kind of feel that mixing debt fund and equity fund gains into one column is quite right.

Yes correct for both questions, as for equity ST STT not paid.

Foreign stock gains go in Schedule CG of ITR-2 (Part B2 for capital gains). Use the FVCI/Foreign Equity bucket for listed foreign stocks and RSUs. If you held the foreign shares at any point during the year, you must also fill Schedule FA with the year-end value.

If tax was withheld in the US under DTAA, claim the foreign tax credit in Schedule FSI and file Form 67 on the portal before submitting ITR-2. The process is laid out in more detail in this [guide to Section 89 relief for salary arrears and foreign income](https://taxgarden.in/blog/section-89-tax-relief-salary-arrears-form-10e) ,  which also covers Form 10E that many MNC employees need.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA / CA Inter - 2 Groups Cleared

Getmyca Consultant Pvt Ltd

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 October 2026
Articled Assistant

KPSN & Associates LLP

Chennai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
04 September 2026
CA inter Or ca finalist

A Jaiswal and company

Lucknow

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
CA Articles

Kothari Jain Patil & Chartered Accountants

Pune

CA Inter

View Details