TDS on Transporter U/S 194C

Tanay (CA Final Student)     23 September 2019

Tanay
CA Final Student 
 6 likes  274 points

| My Other Post

Is it TDS deductible if Transporter owns less than 10 goods carriage during the year and payment made to Transporter exceeds RS.100000 in such year???

prasad Nilugal (Accountant Tax Consultant )     23 September 2019

prasad Nilugal
Accountant Tax Consultant  
 263 likes  3895 points

View Profile | My Other Post

As per  section 194C (6)  of the Income  Tax act  1961 - No  deductions shall be made form any sum credited or paid or likely to be paid during the previous year to  the account of a contractor during the course of business of plying , hiring , or leasing goods Carriages , where  such contractors owns ten or less  goods  carriages at any time during  the  previous year and furnishes declaration to that  effect along with  PAN  to the person paying or crediting such sum . 

please confirm with others also. 

avater

CA ABHAY GUPTA (Practice)     23 September 2019

CA ABHAY GUPTA
Practice 
 131 likes  1488 points

Transporter needs to give declarations along with his PAN to claim exemption

avater

Tanay (CA Final Student)     23 September 2019

Tanay
CA Final Student 
 6 likes  274 points

Even if aggregate payment in a FY exceeds Rs.100000

avater

Kumar Sushank (Asst. Manager - Accounts & Taxation)     23 September 2019

Kumar Sushank
Asst. Manager - Accounts & Taxation 
 40 likes  582 points

If aggregate Turnover exceeds to Rs. 1,00,000/- in a FY then also TDS is not deductible by transporter, However he should have PAN of all transporter, If PAN is not available then he would be liable to deduct TDS @ 20%.

avater

Kapadia Pravin   23 September 2019

Kapadia Pravin

485 likes  7932 points

TDS exemption under 194C is available to transporter owning 10 or less goods carriage at any time during the FY . For claiming , transporter needs to furnish a declaration to Assessee alongwith a copy of PAN.

For transporter not covered above, TDS is to be deducted at Normal rates 1 % or 2% beyond 1 lakh.

avater

Suresh Thiyagarajan (Student)     23 September 2019

Suresh Thiyagarajan
Student 
 226 likes  3597 points

1. TDS need to be deducted u/s 194C in case if the transporter is engaged in the business of plying, hiring and leasing of goods carriage. 
2. However, an exemption has been provided to the transporter who is not owning more than 10 goods carriage at any time during the year. Transporters self-attested copy along with his PAN shall be provided for non-deduction of TDS. (sec 194C(6))  
3. In your case declaration of the same should have been given by the transporter for non-deduction of TDS. Threshold limit will not be applicable and irrespective of the amount of payment if the declaration is provided then TDS may not be deducted u/s 194C. 
Please correct me if the above solution has an alternative view. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »