Tds deducted @ 20% because of no pan. refund possible now ?

pranav mishra (article) (42 Points)

02 January 2014  

Hello,

A Friend of mine was working with a MNC. Last year the assessee did not have a PAN card, Hence TDS was being deducted @ 20%. Before 31 3 2013, assessee got enrolled with PAN. During the year, Assessee paid around 11K as Tax, in aggregate. The income filed in return by assessee is below the exemption limit that is around 190,000 as it was  a part of the year employment ( Contract basis) .

My query is , If at the year end, the employee did not make money more than the exemption limit, should'nt the entire TDS deducted @ 20%  be refunded back to the assessee ? 

I myself filed the return of this assessee but no refund has come from the departmet as yet. When i made an enquiry, i was told to wait for the assessment to completed. I filed return of around 20 friends and most of their assessment is now completed but this assessee's .

Please let me know what you think about the current scenario. Also can we contact the department in person to know when we will get the refund, if at all we are eligible to.

Thanks much.

Pranav.