Easy Office

Share Application Money

Page no : 3

S.Srinivasaraghavan (Chief Financial Officer and Co)   (11318 Points)
Replied 11 September 2008

Share application money can not be treated as paid up capital.

CS MD Osman Akthar (Company Secretary & CA(Final))   (78 Points)
Replied 11 September 2008

Dear Friends, To show any amount as "share application money ' there should be an "issued share capital " earlier to it. In a company where complete authorised capital issued ,subscribed and completely paid before receipt of any money we can not show it as share application money, in such  case first authorised capital is to be raised till that time such excess money can be shown as advance/loan after raising authorised capital convert the advance/loan into share application money/ paid up share capital.

(Guest)

Dear Sir,

Thaks for such an elaborated answer.

Regards

Ravi Nasa

CS Ekta (Company Secretary) (309 Points)
Replied 16 October 2008

Please tell me what should be accounting treatment for paid up capital for which the amount due from one subscriber is yet to be recieved by the company

Replied 16 October 2008

What I mean is the paid up capital is shown as fully paid up ,but the company has not yet received money from one of the subscribers to the memorandum

Regards

Ekta

S.Srinivasaraghavan (Chief Financial Officer and Co)   (11318 Points)
Replied 17 October 2008

This is debt due from the subscribers of MOA.

Replied 17 October 2008

Thanks for the reply

Can we show it under the head advance recoverable in cash or kind

subodh (Service) (88 Points)
Replied 17 October 2008

While calculating networth of a company i.e share capital + reserves, share application money is to be included or not?

subodh (Service) (88 Points)
Replied 17 October 2008

Will networth of a company include share application money.

hussain (accountant) (32 Points)
Replied 04 September 2009

Originally posted by :Deepan Chakravarthy.E
" Hello friends,
    Please clarify my doubt. I have received share application money. I have not allotted any of shares till date. My outstanding share application money was Rs.5,00,000/- as on 31/03/2007. How should I treat the share application money? Shall I treat, it as Current liabilities? Whether I may penalize if I treat it, as a Shareholders fund.
 Regards
Deepan.E

"

CA.Sourabh jain (chartered accountant) (71 Points)
Replied 16 September 2009

what are the impact of share application money received in cash under income tax ?

C V RATNAM DHAVEJI (CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT) (56 Points)
Replied 18 November 2009

Sec. 269SS of the Income Tax Act, 1961 prohibits acceptance of loan or deposit exceeding Rs.20000 otherwise than by a crossed cheque or bank draft. The Jharkhand High Court  in the case of Bhalotia Engineering Pvt Ltd Vs CIT observed that share application money partkaes the characterstics of deposit and accordingly provisons of Sec.269SS are applicable to share applicatiom money accepted in cash.

Howwever the decision looks erroneous as money given towards share application money cannot be considered or described as deposit or loan, which esentially are expected to be returned in cash and normally do not form part of consideration for plant and property. If it is not so, deposit of money as advance for plant & property would also attract the provisions of 269SS which this section never contemplated.

However in view of the HC companies shall be on guard in accepting share applilcation money in cash exceedng Rs.20000. 

Vipin Jain (Senior Manager Indiabulls)   (25 Points)
Replied 24 December 2009

Where to show share application pending allotment in Abstract to Balance Sheet?

Dhiraj Bagri (Manager - Finance & Accounts)   (174 Points)
Replied 13 October 2010

Dear All,

Further to the above discussion I would like to ask if a Private company's Authorized capital is say 100 shares of Rs.10 each out of which it has issued 95 shares of Rs.10 each.

Now company receives share application money for Rs.5000/- and net worth of the private company which has received the share application is say Rs.15/-. Now in the above circumstances we see that company can issue upto 5 shares but it has received application money more than what it is worth for. Will not the same be treated as Interest Free Loan.

Thanking you

Ajay Mishra (Company Secretary) (74332 Points)
Replied 14 October 2010

Dear Mr. Dhiraj

There is no restriction in Companies Act, to take share application money from any one more than authorized share capital of the company. Let see the following example:

1.     Authorised Share Capital as on 30.06.2010  is Rs. 3,00,000.

2.     Paid up capital as on 30.06.2010  is Rs. 2,50,000.

3.     You received share application money of Rs. 2,50,000 on 15.09.2010.

In the above situation you can follow the following procedure:

1.     Call AGM to Increase Authorised Share Capital from Rs. 3,00,000 to Rs. 5,00,000 or more on or after 15.09.2010

2.     Call a Board meeting to allot shares against share application money.

There is no restriction to allot shares against share application money within the time limit, except in case of FDI.

Regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro