Service tax paid on cancelled services

CA.Varalakshmi.M (Manager-Finance)     01 August 2012

CA.Varalakshmi.M
Manager-Finance 
 22 likes  482 points

| My Other Post

Hi friends ,

We have received an advance for a contract ,where we collected and paid the service tax to the Govt.,but later the contract is being cancelled ,they are asking for refund

Do we need to pay the amount including service tax or excluding service tax?

if we pay the amount including service tax ,can we get the refund from Govt??

Thanks in advance.

(Guest)

Yes. You can get refund from Goverment  by way of cash if there is no service tax payable. In case of service tax payable, can adjust against Cenvat credit. For this S.T-3 return filing is mandatory.

Regards

Anand

avater

RENGARAJ R.K (ADVOCATE)     01 August 2012

RENGARAJ R.K
ADVOCATE 
 382 likes  7543 points

View Profile | My Other Post

In the current monthly taxable turnover, please deduct the cancelled order turnover and pay for the balance taxable turnover, thereby you get the refund automatically. Please keep the working sheet in the service tax file about the current month turnover and any cancelled order value for future reference.

rengaaj r.k

avater

CA Ganesh Karthik (Chartered Accountant)     02 August 2012

CA Ganesh Karthik
Chartered Accountant 
 29 likes  363 points

Just a clarification required in this regard.

The law says service tax has to be paid for the services provided or agreed to be provided.

Will / Wont these wordings afftect the above transaction in any way?

avater

Pallav Narang (Audit and Article Assistant)     18 December 2012

Pallav Narang
Audit and Article Assistant 
 2 likes  35 points

In the situation where the service has been cancelled or not provided and the invoice related to that service has been issued, paid and service tax related to that service has been deposited and the service receiver is asking for a refund there arise two situations:

1. To refund the whole amount of the invoice including service tax to the said service receiver. Or,
2. To refund just the gross amount back to the said service receiver and the rest amount being charged as cancellation charges. [Effect of deduction of Cancellation Chares: In most of the practical situations, the service provider does not refund full amount of advance received from the customer. In other words, while granting refund to the concerned customer, the service provider usually deducts some amount in the name of ‘Cancellation Charges’. The million-dollar question is whether such cancellation charges are subject to Service Tax? Since foregoing Cancellation Charges fall within the ambit of Section 66E (e) of Finance Act, 1994 i.e. Agreeing to the obligation to refrain from an act, or to tolerate an act or a situation or to do an act, these charges will attract Service Tax at the full rate] [which is 12.36% at present].

In both the situations of surrender and cancellation, the concerned service provider can make adjustment of excess payment of Service Tax in terms of Rule 6(3) of Service Tax Rules, 1994 which is given below for ready reference: 

[(3) Where an assessee has issued an invoice, or received any payment, against a service to be provided which is not so provided by him either wholly or partially for any reason,

[or where the amount of invoice is renegotiated due to deficient provision of service, or any terms contained in a contract] the assessee may take the credit of such excess service tax paid by him, if the assessee, 

(a) has refunded the payment or part thereof, so received along with the service tax payable           thereon for the service to be provided by him to the person from whom it was received; 

(b)  has issued a credit note for the value of the service tax not so provided to the person to   whom such an invoice had been issued.”]

AN EXAMPLE:

In order to elucidate the issue of adjustment of excess payment of Service Tax following simple example is given:  

• XYZ Ltd. received an advance[which consists of ` 5,00,000/- together with Service Tax on 25% of  5,00,000/- which works out to ` 15,450/-) towards booking of a flat before issue of a completion certificate from a customer [say Mr. Utkarsh Kapoor ] in April, 2012 =5,15,450/-
  • Date on which XYZ Ltd. deposited above-mentioned Service Tax to the credit of Central Government [along with its other Service Tax liability]  =04.05.2012 
  • Date on which Utkarsh Kapoor applied for cancellation of his booking of flat =16.06.2012
  • Date on which XYZ Ltd. accepted the application of Utkarsh Kapoor and refunded the amount of   5,15,450/- =25.06.2012 

In the above example, it can be appreciated that XYZ Ltd. has received the specified payment [in the form of advance] of ` 5,15,450/-from Utkarsh Kapoor against construction service to be provided which is not so provided by it wholly due to cancellation of booking of flat.  

However, XYZ Ltd. has already deposited service tax of ` 15,450/- to the credit of Central Government on 04.05.2012. Thus, XYZ Ltd. can make adjustment of excess payment of  Service Tax of Rs .15,450/ after it has refunded amount of ` 5,15,450/- to Utkarsh Kapoor on 25.06.2012. Thus, while discharging its service tax liability for the month of June, 2012 [or in any subsequent month thereafter] XYZ Ltd. can make adjustment of excess payment of Service Tax of Rs .15,450/. 

Hope it helped.

2 Like

Dipjyoti Majumdar (CA in service & CS. dipmaj@ rediffmail.com )     19 December 2012

Dipjyoti Majumdar
CA in service & CS. dipmaj@ rediffmail.com  
 200 likes  3414 points

Nicely expalined by Pallav.

Thanks

avater

Pallav Narang (Audit and Article Assistant)     20 December 2012

Pallav Narang
Audit and Article Assistant 
 2 likes  35 points

Glad I could be of help.

neha bansal (head taxation)     10 May 2019

neha bansal
head taxation 
 23 points

what will happen to service tax paid if cancellation of flat is made in gst regime?

Navami Pandey (Owner)     15 May 2019

Navami Pandey
Owner 
 32 points

Nice forum

avater

sneha (ACCOUNTS AND TAX MANAGER)     31 May 2019

sneha
ACCOUNTS AND TAX MANAGER 
 13 likes  134 points

My client has paid full advance money (including service tax) for purchase of property before July 17 when property was under construction, my client has deducted TDS on whole property value, property is constructed in may 19 and now builder want to sale this property to someone else and is giving refund to my client, builder is saying that refund will be granted net of TDS and Service tax. and saying that He (builder) will charge GST from new Buyer. My question is 1)whether Single property be taxed for Service tax as well as GST? 2)Whether my client can claim Service tax Amount back from Builder and ask Builder to collect the same from new Buyer? 3)What about TDS, Whether my client can claim TDS amount back from Builder?

Read more at: https://www.caclubindia.com/experts/whether-gst-and-service-tax-be-paid-on-the-same-property-2740359.asp
My client has paid full advance money (including service tax) for purchase of property before July 17 when property was under construction, my client has deducted TDS on whole property value, property is constructed in may 19 and now builder want to sale this property to someone else and is giving refund to my client, builder is saying that refund will be granted net of TDS and Service tax. and saying that He (builder) will charge GST from new Buyer. My question is 1)whether Single property be taxed for Service tax as well as GST? 2)Whether my client can claim Service tax Amount back from Builder and ask Builder to collect the same from new Buyer? 3)What about TDS, Whether my client can claim TDS amount back from Builder?

Read more at: https://www.caclubindia.com/experts/whether-gst-and-service-tax-be-paid-on-the-same-property-2740359.asp

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »