Security transaction tax

Nikhil Darji   11 December 2019

Nikhil Darji

2 likes  16 points

| My Other Post

can we "STT of purchase" deduct on sale value of share, computation of LTCG..??

1 Like
avater

sanjith kotni (Articled assistant)     12 December 2019

sanjith kotni
Articled assistant 
 28 likes  493 points

View Profile | My Other Post

No if you are doing share trading business then it will be allowed as expense but under capital gains head it will not be allowed

1 Like
avater

Shivam RC (Student)     14 December 2019

Shivam RC
Student 
 1663 likes  13630 points

No you cannot deduct Securities Transaction Tax ( STT ) while computing LTCG.

2 Like
avater

Kapadia Pravin   15 December 2019

Kapadia Pravin

823 likes  12940 points

Yes surely
why not ?
Contract value itself is after deduction of all incidental charges, brokerage, GST, STT, Txn charges etc.

For capital gain purposes , you can definitely take STT deduction.

avater

Shivam RC (Student)     15 December 2019

Shivam RC
Student 
 1663 likes  13630 points

@ Kapadia Sir,

Can you please share any Notification/Circular or Provision from the IT Act 1961 regarding this matter.

As per my Knowledge, Securities Transaction Tax cannot be deducted as an expense for transfer and also it cannot be added to the cost of acquisition.

Other incidental charges like Brokerage, Commission etc is allowed. But STT is not allowed. Kindly confirm Sir

Warm Regards.

avater

Kapadia Pravin   15 December 2019

Kapadia Pravin

823 likes  12940 points

In case of person who is trading in securities and offering income/loss from such trading as business income, STT paid is allowed to be deducted as business expense under section 36.

STT is a kind of financial transaction tax which is similar to tax collected at source (TCS). STT is a direct tax levied on every purchase and sale of securities that are listed on the recognized stock exchanges in India. 

Now one can say, admisiblity of STT as deduction is only for "deduction of expenses on transfer" and as cost of acquisition/improvement is dealt in section 55 the said proviso does not apply to STT paid at the time of acquisition.

At the same time, one can also argue that "deduction at the time of computing of capital gains" includes "cost of acquisition/transfer" and so STT is not to added to COA by virtue of same proviso.

One may have to enter into litigation or Higher Authority needs to clarify on this issue

I don't have right now any courts judgement references. But strictly to be on safer side, STT may be ignored from LTCG calculation.

However it's not convincing and will create mis-matches between investment A/c vs contract notes bill amount

Good point you have raised Shivam 👍

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »