ICICI

Salary to non - executive director of private company

Sneha (Company Secretary)     24 May 2013

Sneha
Company Secretary 
 285 likes  1594 points

| My Other Post

Kindly reply. Can a private company pay salary of Rs. 70,000/- pm to its non - executive director ?? What are the compliances required for the same.

avater

Devendra (Chartered Accountant)     24 May 2013

Devendra
Chartered Accountant 
 425 likes  4731 points

View Profile | My Other Post

Yes. Salary can be paid to the Non-Executive Director. No compliance required to be made.

1 Like
avater

Sneha (Company Secretary)     25 May 2013

Sneha
Company Secretary 
 285 likes  1594 points

Thanks for your prompt reply..

avater

P C Agrawal (Vice President (Corporate))     25 May 2013

P C Agrawal
Vice President (Corporate) 
 822 likes  8060 points

If you pay salary to non-executive director, he will become whole time director and you will have to file Form 32 for change of designation from 'Director' to 'WTD'.

avater

Sneha
Company Secretary 
 285 likes  1594 points

Kindly refer the section or proviso or explanation for your intrepretation ?

avater

Sneha
Company Secretary 
 285 likes  1594 points

Members please reply

avater

Sarvesh (Company Secretary)     27 May 2013

Sarvesh
Company Secretary 
 15 likes  179 points

A private company may pay salary/ remuneration to its non-executive director subject to the provisions of its articles.

1 Like
avater

P C Agrawal (Vice President (Corporate))     27 May 2013

P C Agrawal
 822 likes  8060 points

Payment of salary to a person presupposes existence of employer-employee relationship.  Such employment could be either on whole time basis or part time basis.  Relevant provisions of Companies Act are reproduced below:

Section 198(3):

"Within the limits of maximum remuneration specified in sub-section (1), a company may pay a monthly remuneration to its managing or whole-time director in accordance with the provisions of section 309 or to its manager in accordance with the provisions of section 387."

Section 309(3):

"A director who is either in the whole time employment of the company or a managing director may be paid remuneration either by way of a monthly payment or at a specified percentage of the net profits of the company or partly by one way and partly by the other:"

Section 309(4):

"A director who is neither in the whole time employment of the company nor a managing director may be paid remuneration---

either

(a) by way of a monthly, quarterly or annual payment with the approval of the Central Government; or

(b) by way of commission if the company by special resolution authorises such payment."

Although these provisions may not be applicable to a private company, the intention of the Act is to provide for payment of remuneration by way of monthly salary to MD/WTD and commission to other directors. 

avater

Sarvesh (Company Secretary)     27 May 2013

Sarvesh
Company Secretary 
 15 likes  179 points

As per the provisions of  section 309 (4) (a) as mentioned above by Mr. P C Agrawal, remuneration may be paid to non whole time director with the approval of Central Government.  It was understood from this provision that if a public company wants to remunerate its non whole time director then it can do so with the approval of central govermnment. Therefore an independent  private company may  also remunerate its non whole time director  without CG approval since the section is not applicable on a private company unless it is a subsidiary of public company. 

avater

P C Agrawal (Vice President (Corporate))     27 May 2013

P C Agrawal
 822 likes  8060 points

I agree that in case of private company restrictive provisions for payment of remuneration to directors are not applicable and it can pay remuneration to any director.  Remuneration paid by public companies u/s 309(4)(a) can ony be in the form of 'commission' and not 'salary'.  Hence if a private company pays monthly remuneration in the form of 'commission', there is no issue.  However, if a private company pays monthly 'salary' to a director, the following questions will arise: 

1. Whether the designation of the director needs to be changed to 'WTD' or not?

2. If not, in which circumstances a director of a private company who is paid monthly salary will be deemed to be a WTD and not a director?

Members may please enlighten on this issue.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »