Request for Advice on Housing Loan Tax Benefit Eligibility

My father had availed a housing loan of ₹13 lakhs in 2020, and since then, I have been solely responsible for repaying the EMIs. In 2024, my father unfortunately passed away, and I have continued to bear the EMI burden.

Both the loan account and the property are in my father's name, and I am his only son. Given these circumstances, I would like to understand if I am eligible to claim any tax benefits—either on the principal or interest component—under Section 80C or Section 24 (including 80EE/80EEA) of the Income Tax Act.

I would sincerely appreciate your guidance. My intention here is not to avoid taxes, but I am currently going through a financially challenging time and exploring any possible support available through legitimate means.

Thank you in advance for your time and advice.

Replies (1)

You are not eligible to claim tax benefits under Section 80C or Section 24 as the loan was taken by your father and the property is in his name. However, you can claim a deduction under Section 80EEA or Section 80EE which provide additional tax benefits for individuals who have taken a housing loan. But these sections have specific conditions and limitations. 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details