Rent

Hi experts

I am a NRI, I purchased a house and registered in joint name with my wife.

I am staying away from India and my wife is staying in India, now we are letting our property for rent.

Can I ensure that the rent is getting credited in my NRO account which is being operated in my name or the rent needs to be credited in the joint account of me and my wife.

I am planning to get the rent credited in my NRO account which is not a joint account.

Also my wife is claiming deduction of Interest under house property.

request you to kindly explain what can I do?

Also do I need to file returns.

 

Thanks

Replies (3)

"Also my wife is claiming deduction of Interest under house property."

If its for the same house as mentioned earlier, rent must be credited to her account or joint acc with other co-owner.

 

Dear Mr. Dhirajlal,

I am a NRI and she is resident Indian, can we open a joint account.

 

YES. 

RBI has allowed residents of India to include non-resident close relative in their resident bank accounts on 'former or survivor' basis. However, such non-resident relative shall not be eligible to operate the account during resident's lifetime, it said in a notification.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
06 October 2026
Assistant Manager - Audit and Compliance

Ravi K Jain & Co

Noida

Others

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
07 October 2026
Senior Account Manager

Amplio Invest

Mumbai

M.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 October 2026
Articled Assistant

KPSN & Associates LLP

Chennai

CA Inter

View Details