Prefilled downloaded xml option

if I file return offline...

1) if i am filling return first time then I have to go directly to the option of X M L or java utility download....because I am filling return first time and I have no data to be imported...here no need to select the option prefilled downloaded X M L..because there is no question of import of data.

2) if I have filed return in previous years and then I have to download prefilled data to import the data....

is it correct????

another question...
after filling the data in X M L or java I have to save the data and calculate the tax and pay it....then after I should generate the X M L and upload it....

is it correct???
Replies (1)

Here’s a clear explanation for your queries on offline Income Tax return filing:

  1. Filing return for the first time (no previous data):
    Yes, when filing for the first time, you can start fresh by downloading the Java utility or XML utility directly from the income tax e-filing portal. Since you have no earlier data to import, you don’t need to select or use the “Prefilled downloaded XML” option.

  2. Filing return after having filed earlier years:
    Yes, if you have filed returns in previous years, you can download the prefilled XML from the portal, which will contain your existing data like Form 26AS, salary, interest, TDS, etc. You then import this XML file into the utility, verify/edit/add details, and proceed.

  3. Steps after filling the data in XML/Java utility:

  • Save your filled data first.

  • Calculate tax liability using the utility’s option.

  • Pay any tax due, if applicable (challan generation and payment outside the utility).

  • After tax payment, update the paid tax details in the utility.

  • Generate the final XML file for upload.

  • Upload this XML on the Income Tax e-filing portal.

So, your understanding is correct. You can also save multiple drafts before generating the final XML.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 04 September 2026
Accounts Executive

Hema Yashwanth & Associates

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Semi-Qualified Assitant

Subrahmanyam & Sivudu CA Firm

Hyderabad

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details