PPF Query

Dear Sir/Mam,
I opened a PPF A/c with SBI in February 2004 and when I opened the A/c I was told that the A/c would mature after 15 years and if I want I can further extend the maturity by 5 years.
But recently someone told me that the 5 year extension after the maturity period has been stopped and that I would have to withdraw my money after 15 years.

Kindly guide me as to what is the latest scenario now.

Also I would like to know that what is the maximum period by which I can extend the maturity of my PPF A/c (if any) ie for how many years after completing 15 years can I deposit money into my PPF A/c and earn interest on it and will I still get exemption from Income Tax as well


Regards
Laksh*t Seth

Replies (3)

 

HUF’S PPF A/C can not extend after 15 years but yes individual can extend PPF A/C after 15 years to next 5 years

 

As per Sec 9(3) of the PPF Scheme, at its maturity, the account can be continued for a block of 5 years. This facility is available for any number of blocks on expiry of each of the extended periods. The continuation can be with or without contribution. Once an account is continued without contributions for one year, the subscriber cannot change over to with-contributions extension. [Notification F.3(6)-PD/86 dt 20.8.86].

A subscriber, continuing his account with fresh subscripttions, can withdraw up to 60% of the balance to his credit at the commencement of each extended period in one or more installments, but only one per year.

On the other hand, in the case of account extended without contribution, withdrawals can be effected in installments, not exceeding one in a year. The balance will continue to earn interest till it is completely withdrawn.

No new account can be opened if the old one is in extended mode either with or without contributions [MOF (DEA) letter F.7/2/97-NS II dt 9.2.98].

Form-H is to be used to declare the intention of continuing the account with subscripttion for each extended period. It should be filed before the first contribution is made for the first year. In its absence, the account will be treated as without-subscripttion extension. Fresh contributions made to such accounts will enjoy neither the deduction u/s 80C nor the interest. [MoF (DEA) 7/21/88-NS-II dt 10.8.90]

/forum/all-about-ppf-120442.asp

see this link to get to know everything about ppf

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accounts Executive

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

MBA

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Audit Executive

Thammana & Associates

Srikakulam

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details