Plot sale and tax management

I was an Indian citizen and now I am a UK citizen with an OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) card holder.

The land developer is offering me to buy back the plot at market price.nd not generating any income in India so paying nil tax in India for the past 5 years.

My parents purchased a 12,000 sq. ft. land plot in Bangalore in my name in 1990 and we didn't register it till now. 

I have a land purchase letter from a land developer and now I am planning to sell the land plot.

Land developer is offering me to buy back the plot at market price.

I am seeking advice on the following questions:

  1) The land plot was not declared in my income tax file (as it was not registered from 1990) while I was an Indian citizen so now how to show this plot sale amount when the sale amount arrives in my account?

  2) I am advised by a few friends to buy land/property in India from the Bangalore plot sale amount within a year to avoid 30% tax to the government however I am unsure to invest in property right now in India so looking for advice on other options to invest beside land/property and avoid or minimize government tax and to avoid any regulatory rules violation.

 3) Can I pull back the plot sale amount to the UK after paying the necessary local tax in India? If YES then how much tax applies to OCI card holders when I pull these amounts from India to the UK?

Any professional advice from a Chartered Accountant / Tax planner / Any experienced expert on my situation will be helpful.

Replies (3)
Quick Summary
An OCI cardholder and UK citizen is selling a plot of land in Bangalore that was purchased in their name in 1990 but never registered. The plot has not been declared for Indian income tax purposes. The individual is seeking advice on how to declare the sale proceeds, minimise capital gains tax in India, and explore investment options other than property to potentially avoid a 30% tax. They also want to know if they can repatriate the sale amount to the UK and what taxes apply to OCI cardholders in this scenario.

1) does the plot belong to you.??
2)) can i pull back???

Yes, Plot is on my name and it belongs to me.

 

Then if your past returns are ok, go ahead

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accounts Executive

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

MBA

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA / CA Inter - 2 Groups Cleared

Getmyca Consultant Pvt Ltd

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Semi-Qualified Assitant

Subrahmanyam & Sivudu CA Firm

Hyderabad

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details