LTCG on Mutual Fund SIP

Suppose I start a SIP of 10K for 5 years (so I paid 6 lakhs) and at the end of 7th year say its valued as 12 lakhs. If I take out 7 lakhs out of it then I should not be taxed on LTCG? 

Because 6 lakhs is the base amount which i paid via SIP and 1 lakh LTCG is anyway exempted. And remaining amount , if i take out 1 lakh subsequently year after year then  I wouldnt be taxed too?

Am I wrong on this?

Replies (1)

No, your working is wrong.

In case of Mutual Fund SIP, you get units every month based on NAV.

So if in 5 years you invest 6 Lakhs, you need to also see total no. of units that you have accumulated. Say in 5 years you have accumulated 6000 units i.e. it makes Rs. 100 per unit.

Now in 7th year, when your MF value is 12 Lakhs, total no. of units remains same as you are not investing after end of 5 years. So technically, your value of 12 Lakhs is for 6000 units only i.e. it makes Rs. 200 per unit.

Now when you redeem only Rs. 7 Lakhs, so you are technically redeeming only 3500 units (6000 * 7L / 12L)

So your cost of acquisition for 3500 units shall be only Rs. 3.5L (3500 units * Rs. 100 per unit)  

So basically your LTCG shall be Rs. 3.5 Lakhs ( 7 L redeem value - 3.5 L cost of acquisition) and accordingly you will be liable for taxation.

Please note that above example is just to make your logic clear, I haven't considered indexation and FIFO method to derive cost of acquisition. I hope it cleares your query though.  

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
Featured ARTICLESHIP 06 October 2026
Semi Qualified

AJAY SINGH AND CO LLP

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
SALES TELECALLER

HIRE NOVA

Lucknow

Graduate (Any)

View Details
Company
06 October 2026
Assistant Manager - Audit and Compliance

Ravi K Jain & Co

Noida

Others

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Trainee/ CMA Trainee

RMA And Associates LLP

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details