ICICI

Life insurance premium under section 80c

rajesh chonjamam   24 June 2019

rajesh chonjamam

2 likes  22 points

| My Other Post

if the payer and insured are two different persons and the payer pays the insurance premium from his own bank account then and is the insured eligible to take the deduction of the premium under section 80c. the insured is the spouse of the payer.

1 Like
avater

sheela More (student)     24 June 2019

sheela More
student 
 47 likes  283 points

View Profile | My Other Post

Payer is eligible for deduction of insurance premium paid for his spouse, if payment done by him.

1 Like
avater

Ashwin Kumar   24 June 2019

Ashwin Kumar

67 likes  1180 points

yes you can...under 80 c upto 150000

1 Like
avater

rajesh chonjamam

2 likes  22 points

@ sheela_more the payment was made by the payer himself as it was made through his bank account but the policy receipt will have the name of the insured. so won't the insured be eligible to claim deduction?

avater

sheela More (student)     24 June 2019

sheela More
student 
 47 likes  283 points

As per the policy terms insurer is her husband, so he is eligible for 80C benefit, when he pays to insure himself or any of his family member/s

1 Like
avater

rajesh chonjamam

2 likes  22 points

@ sheela_more & @ ashwin_kumar .....suppose the insured is not related with the payer....they are just friends say A and B..the insured that is A is the assessee...but the payment was made by the assessee's friend that is B through B's bank account...think as if in practical scenario....then do u think it is right to claim this premium deduction by A in his return of income stating that the premium amount was given by A to B ?

avater

Dipesh Jha (PRACTICE )     24 June 2019

Dipesh Jha
PRACTICE  
 26 likes  480 points

since the Money paid through Payer Bank account...the Insured is not eligible for deduction under section 80C of the income tax act,1961😊

avater

rajesh chonjamam

2 likes  22 points

@ dipesh_jha suppose the insured is not related with the payer....they are just friends say A and B..the insured that is A is the assessee...but the payment was made by the assessee's friend that is B through B's bank account...think as if in practical scenario....then do u think it is right to claim this premium deduction by A in his return of income stating that the premium amount was given by A to B

1 Like
avater

Kapadia Pravin   13 November 2019

Kapadia Pravin

705 likes  11158 points

Here A (friend) is paying premium on behalf of B his friend. LIP payment will qualify under 80C in B's return.

The 80C section specifies for which relatives an individual can pay premium and get 80C Deduction in his own return.

Under 80C(2)(i) - specified persons -
(a) for the purposes of clauses (i) of that sub-section,—

(i) in the case of an individual, the individual, the wife or husband and any child of such individual, and

(ii) in the case of a Hindu undivided family, any member thereof;

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »