L t c g

CHENNUPATI AJAYA BABU (manager(taxation)) (87 Points)

21 October 2011  

I Purchased a Urban site at Chennai in the year 2001, which was sold on 07/10/2011.     It is a Long Term Capital Asset  which attracts LTCG.

I purchased another site at Hyderabad in the year 2010,  for construction of residential house (earlier we are not in possession of any residential house), for  which we applied for plan approval in the month of Dec’2010 and the construction started in the month of Jan’ 2011, work is under  progress.   It will take another one and half year (approx.) for completion of the house.

If we utilize the entire sale proceeds of Chennai site for construction of residential house (which is under progress) at Hyderabad site, are we eligible for LTCG exemption under Sec. 54 F of Income Tax Act, 1961.

As per Sec 54F  “Any long-term capital gain, arising to an individual or HUF, from the transfer of any capital asset, other than residential house property, shall be exempt in full, if the entire net sales consideration is invested in purchase of one residential house within one year before or 2 years after the date of transfer of such an asset or in the construction of one residential house within 3 years after the date of such transfer.”

As per the above section  “The entire Sale Consideration should be invested in the construction of one residential house within 3 years after the date of transfer.”  But already the construction of residential house at Hyderabad Site started in the month of Jan’ 2011 (i.e., before the date of transfer of Chennai Site).  

Based on the above facts, am I eligible for LTCG under Sec 54F or should  I invest the sale proceeds under Sec. 54 EC to get the capital gain exemption ?

Is any  other  alternative available to get the tax benefit on Capital Gain ?  Please reply at the earliest.

Thanks & Regards

Ajay Babu