Itr-1 for nre status indians

Hello All

I'm employed with a foreign shipping company and for past many years I've been maintaining my NRE status (Section 6(1) IT Act) by being out of india for more than 182 days in a Financial Year . I've been filling Income Tax returns showing full salary details and interest earning- this was being done manually and I filled Zero Tax Returns.

Recently I came across the information that individuals earning more tan 10 Lacs P.A. are required to file IT electronically so I decided to do it for myself. Since my earnings are limited to foreign remittances to NRE Bank account and accrued interest on the bank balance, I used the ITR-1 form for AY 2012-13.

The form computed some tax liability for me based on the gross earnings I entered (Regarless of the mention of Non-Resident status in the form). Before uploading the .xml file I made corrections to the Interest and Tax Liability columns so as to have zero tax liability. ( I should have consulted the forum back then actually)

Last week I received IT demand notice under section 143(1) where in a large amount of Tax Liability has been computed.  

My problem now is that I do not know how to reflect my NRE status on the e-filling form so that no tax liabilites are computed by the excel sheet (So as to fill a rectification request). I earnestly request members to give me suggestions / advice on conveying the IT department regarding my NRE status and in clearing off the IT Demand.

Thanks & Regards.

Replies (1)

Hello Forum members

Kindly do give me your inputs on the above situation. Someone here must have idea about what problem I'm talking about.

Thanks & Regards

 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details