Is it possible to reject a payment received?

Dr.Jyothish Vijay (Dr) (214 Points)

08 May 2019  

I am a doctor.  I receive professional fees from the hospital I work.  Apart from that for certain consultation services rendered a certain pharmaceutical company has given me some amount as well under section 194 J.  But after signing their agreement( a few months later actually),  to resolve certain tax issues,  I thought it was better to not accept their money.  I informed a local representative of that company(who may or may not have informed their finance depths).  In any case,  they went ahead with the payment.  Since then I have been trying to get them to take back the payment.  IE I said I would electronically return the money back and they revise their returns and not show payments in my name(so that TDS gets edited in my 26 AS as well).  But till now there has been no response from their side.  This local representative is low in hierarchy and does not have much know how regarding this. 

So my query is,  how can I return the money and not show this income in my returns in a scenario like mine? 

IE what to do if we get unwanted payment which is seen to push you above convenient tax limits?