Invalid return u/s 139(9)

manoj (ca final student) (65 Points)

07 March 2017  
Dear sir/mam Please advise, one of mine friend failed to response for defective return for AY 2015-16 within the time allowed so his Income Tax return declared as invalid by the Income Tax Department, my query is wheather revised return can be filed with same form and data as in original return or can he change the ITR form and data and treated it as fresh return because original has become invalid THANKS