Income tax on sale of land - planning

I'm a salaried employee in a private ltd firm. My total salary is 4.5 lakh/annum and I have deposits like PPF, NSC, etc so as to avoid paying income tax. But, in this FY I received 10 lakh as my share by the sale of land which was on my mother's name, and I deposited it as FDs in SBT and Canara bank.

So, please tell me the best way/investments to avoid paying income tax. I've no other incomes.

 

Replies (5)

Who was the owner of the plot of land? You or your mother?

Originally posted by : Mihir
Who was the owner of the plot of land? You or your mother?

My mother.

THEN ACCORDING TO ME THAT 10L WOULD BE CONSIDERED AS GIFT TO U FROM YOUR MOTHER & YOU NEED NOT TO PAY TAX ON IT
Find out the capital gains from the sale of plot of land. Your mother shall be liable to pay capital gain tax.

Your mother shall be liable to Capital gain tax.. you are not liable to pay any tax.. I will advice you that take benefit of exemptions under capital gain on your mother's name to avoid tax.. and amount which you will get after expiry of period (if you are claiming exemption u/s 54EC) then transfer by way of gift to you from your mother..

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Aviv Global Private Limited

Ahmedabad

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Semi-Qualified Assitant

Subrahmanyam & Sivudu CA Firm

Hyderabad

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
CA Articles

Kothari Jain Patil & Chartered Accountants

Pune

CA Inter

View Details