Income tax on Fd received

hello everyone .
I recently received a lump sum fd of 70k which was taken by my father under my name when I was a minor .so now does this needs to be included as my other income sources while filing it returns?
thank you
Replies (14)
Quick Summary
This discussion clarifies whether a lump sum Fixed Deposit (FD) received by an individual is considered taxable income. The consensus is that the principal amount of the FD itself is not taxable income, as it's essentially receiving back your own money. However, any interest earned on that FD, even if received later, is considered taxable income and should be declared under 'income from other sources' if it exceeds the basic exemption limit. Gifts from parents are generally exempt from tax without a limit.

No it's no taxable.Only interest portion if any is taxable under income from other sources.
Only current year Interest taxable
Only the interest portion is taxable under IFOS bt if ur Income is not above the basic exemption limit then no need to show this income in ur ROI
Does this not classify as gift ? I remember reading that above 50k it's taxable
The amount of fd is Gift but the interest is taxable in ur hands
Ya I get that .thanks .the amount itself is around 70k .I am not sure if I need to declare it as a part of income .
FD was made in your name only.

Receipt from FD is not income.

Income is chargeable to income tax.But you got your money back and no extra income .So it is not taxable
Yes .but that was under my name as a minor .Now I claimed it recently stating I need my money as I have turned major .Does it still valid .?thanks .
sorry if the questions are repititive .
To make it clear,

Do you have only interest income?

Do you have any other income??
I am a salaried employee .so yeah I do have that. and I don't have the interest income .I used up that money received from fd elsewhere
Hello,
FD gives either periodical interest or accumulated interest.

Check once for earlier months or quarter or half year ends ..

You can't say that you have not received Interest.
The main purpose of FD is to earn interest .
Ya I shall check that .But I think it would be very less .now what my worry is that does the FD amount received adds to my taxable income ?
No.There is no extra income .It's not an income.

Manish,

Your father made FD of 70000 in your name.

It was Your income in the year when your father made this FD (when you were minor)

However, Gifts from Parents (relatives) is wholly exempt (whole 70000)

No limit for gifts received from your father

Now in the current year, you may have earned interest on such FD

This interest is your taxable income

 

Regards,

Roopali

9870217925

 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
05 October 2026
Senior Accountant

Vision IT Peripherals Pvt Ltd

Mumbai

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 30 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

CA Suraj Garg & Associates

New Delhi

CA Final

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Audit Executive

Thammana & Associates

Srikakulam

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details