Income tax form itr 2 - co-ownership of property

I live in a flat which is in joint name of my wife and myself. My wife is a housewife and has no income. I repay the loan EMI entirely from my income.

Should I fill my wife as the co-owner of property in ITR2 form (House Property)? If yes, then should her share be 50%? Will it impact the calculation of income tax deduction that I am going to claim (Rs. 1.5 lacs).

Please advise.

Replies (5)

I had the same question, didnt get any replies from a post few weeks ago. I asked 2 CAs - they said property share in ITR-2 should be from tax/financial ownership perspective. Hence if you are clubbing everything anyway, then from a tax perspective its 100% in your name. Doesnt affect anything else. I'm following this advice as I file my return. Hoping advice from CA is correct. 

 

My two bits..

to my mind its about beneficial ownership. Who really owns the property. If the amount is fully paid by the husband (incl loan- which is taken by the husband) then then its not beneficially co-owned by the wife. So I would put 100%. In my view the wife's name in the property is only for convenience purposes.

I tried the excel utility.. it does not seem to make any adujustments to the house property income (based on % of co-ownership). So if the property is actually co-owned the the HP Income has to be adjusted (as per % share) and entered into the efiling software.

Any other views?

 

 

 

 

 

Although the house is in the joint names of the two persons.but from tax point of view the actual owner will be the person who had purchased such house property or paid the loaned amount. Therefore you cannot show your wife as co-owner of the house property. Therefore you should not claim deduction of on behalf of your wife.

Yes, you can claim income tax exemption if you are a co applicant in a housing loan as long as you are also the owner or co owner of the property in question. If you are only person repaying the loan, you can claim the entire tax benefit for yourself (provided you are an owner or co-owner). You should enter into a simple agreement with the other borrowers stating that you will be repaying the entire loan. If you are paying part of the EMI, you will get tax benefits in the proportion to your share in the loan.

what if the plot of land is in the name of wife only ? and the loan to construct house is taken jointly due to wife being only a housewife ?? vvkk @ in.com 9414029345

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Audit Executive

Thammana & Associates

Srikakulam

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 October 2026
Articled Assistant

KPSN & Associates LLP

Chennai

CA Inter

View Details