Will try to answer your queries :-
1) Procedure? What's the run-down? I've heard you have to first sit in a smaller city like Indore, Jaipur etc, and then if you don't get an offer there, you can sit in a bigger city? Also, can you reject an offer in a smaller city and then go to a bigger city? And, do Companies hire you immediately(I believe that's what Campus Placement means?) or do they call you after a few days or so. How many rounds of interview are there?
Reply : - Well, the procedure differs company to company and city wise. There is no such compulsion as to first attend the campus in a smaller city and then a bigger one. It totally depends upon you. Although the number and quality of companies attending campus in a bigger city is better. The part about number of offer rejections is listed out clearly in the rules on cmii website. That will give you a clearer idea. Ya, if you clear the interview, you will be given an offer letter immediately. However, the joining date will be intimidated to you later by the company. Mostly that is also within one month. The rounds of interview also depends upon the company. Mostly there are 3 rounds as given below :-
- Round 1 : Written Test / Group Discussion
- Round 2 : Personal Interview
- Round 3 : Final Interview – Handing over the offer letter and discussion about salary and other terms
2) The kind of Companies that generally show up? The job profile offered. The package offered? The city in which the job is offered?
Reply : - The kind and number of companies that show up differs in every campus interview. Most of them are listed companies having a good turnover, corporates and big CA Firms. TCS is a regular at the campus, also Vedanta, ICICI Bank, Accenture etc have attended the Campus. The job profile also is also varied: Corporate Finance, Taxation, Audit, Financial Analyst ( Financial Softwares) etc The companies mention clearly the placement city in their criteria; the city of placement depends on the criteria listed out by the specific company
3) The general requirements of Companies? Do they only interview first-attempt pass-outs on Day 1?
Reply: - The companies shortlist candidates based on their criteria, candidate’s job preference, candidates marks, number of attempts etc. Once the short listing is done, the interview rounds are held for the shortlisted candidates. There is no such thing as interviewing first-attempt pass-outs on Day 1. It depends on their shortlists.
4) Overall, do you think you could have landed a better job if you hadn't gone through Campus Placement? Is ICAI really working hard towards making Campus Placements more effective for students?
Reply : - The Campus placements is a very good intiative by ICAI. The salary package offered is much higher. However, the candidates should also take this seriously. To take part in a Campus, you must be well prepared on your communication skills, knowledge (academic, basics ), practical ( reading newspapers, articles on blogs, magazines etc.) The company will identify a passionate candidate in a jiffy, the others might feel betrayed. Since CA is a distance learning course, holding a Campus is really a great initiative by ICAI. However, the number of job offers is less since most of the times the students are not job ready. Be confident and knowledgeable. Work on your interview skills and Campus Placement will be an enjoyable process for you.