ICICI

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

I want to fund raise to start a business, do I need to pay tax or it can be considered investment?

Arthur Lovian (7 Points)

22 October 2021  

Hi everyone, 

I am trying to raise funds from public: crowd funding, a very small amount of money like 100-500 from so many people and collect 1 cr to 2cr as funds to start a Business. 

I have referred razorpay website, it's mentioned if I am not a charity, I need to pay Income tax. 

But it's not my income, I am going to register a company and put this as capital investment. 

Please let me know if I can register Business after raising funds and put this all funds as investment, or should I register MSME without GST and raise funds and convert MSME unregistered business to PVT LTD company with GST? 

Help me to better make use of funds raised. 

5 Replies

sabyasachi mukherjee (6774 Points)
Replied 22 October 2021

CONCEPT ONE IS CAPITAL AND ANOTHER IS INCOME

Sameer (Article) (111 Points)
Replied 22 October 2021

Yes, this constitutes income and income tax is leviable subject to conditions.

Their are alternative ways to account and show these kind of collections.

One way is you can show all the people from whom the money is raised as capital holders in your organisation and generate business. In this case no income tax would be levied. But you would have to make payouts of profits generated to all these.
1 Like

Arthur Lovian (7 Points)
Replied 22 October 2021

Can I register a pvt ltd company and show this income as expenses atleast? 

If I do this atleast this money can be utilized for real purpose in company instead of paying all as personal Income tax? 

can I show this as Income from Business and consider it as Business Income and register a Business after raising funds from people?

Sameer (Article) (111 Points)
Replied 22 October 2021

Formation of private limited company has pre defined objectives as stated in MOA. You cannot on adhoc basis account borrowings as income and claim expenses against those.

Arthur Lovian (7 Points)
Replied 23 October 2021

I have a doubt, people definitely do not start Business as PVT ltd on day 1. can I register a MSME without GST, and use my personal savings bank account, and convert that to pvt ltd company? 

Because it's meaningless to call that personal income for me while it is actually for Business purpose.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Subscribe to the latest topics :
Search Forum:

Trending Tags