HRA exemptions

I shall feel thankful on throwing light on my queries:

 

I have an own house at work place for which I took home loan which is quite

away from my office hence I shifted in a rented house closure to office while

the owned house is being used by my family which is not yielding any income.

 

As my employer pays me HRA hence shall I eligible to claim rent u/s 10??

Simultaneously, am I eligible to claim housing loan interest u/s 24 (2)??

And house loan repayment u/s 80C??

 

The pay roll division will have any objection to consider the situation while

computing my tax liability?

 

Thanks in advance to the replies

Replies (6)

As far as claming deduction u/s 24(b) and u/s 80C is concerned, you are eligible.

Since you own a HP in the same city in which you are employed, you are not eligible for exemption u/s 10(13A). 

You have eligible to claim as deduction u/s 24 and 80C for your HP laon.

You have Own HP in same place which you have employed means not eligible to claim HRA for computing tax liability.

Thanks for the valuable inputs. In continuation to above situation, I wish to know more-  my work place in a village border in Medak Dt. while the owned house in Hyderabad which is 60KM away, earlier from where I used to commute. But due to inconvenience I have shifted in a rented house near 7km (at my work place) a sub-urb part of greater Hyd  which is also not falls in Medak dt.

At this situation what the rules says- i.e. I mean can I claim the all the three benefit ??

If yes, then my employer will accept these projection while computing tax??

With thanks

Still u cannot claim for HRA cuz the place u r residing is in the territorial limits of the city..so dat place wud also b considered as in the same city. bt u can claim for interest and principal amount of house loan.

Happy to see the responses.  Territorial limits: could you please through light on the term??, In case, I stay in the territory of work place and produce the rent receipt, will it be allowed to eligible all the three cases under claims i.e. exempted??  will my payroll division will consider the case before computation of the income tax?? May please be taken the case positively, as I would like to save more and more .....Warm regards...

The Intention of section 10(13A) is to provide benefit to persons who live in a rented house bcoz his source of income is at a place other than his place of residence. In your case, since your residence is 60 kms away from your work place, it can be very well substantiated before the AO that you are living in a rented house and that the rent payments made by you are genuine.

In my view, you are entitled to exemption.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
08 October 2026
Accounts and Tax Associate

POOJA R TELI & CO

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured ARTICLESHIP 06 October 2026
Semi Qualified

AJAY SINGH AND CO LLP

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 08 October 2026
ARTICLE TRAINEE

S.B.G. & CO. CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details