How to calculate LTCG on land if payment is received in multiple years

Quick Summary
This discussion addresses how to calculate Long Term Capital Gains (LTCG) when a land sale involves receiving payment across multiple financial years. The key point is that LTCG is generally calculated only upon registration of the sale deed, not on advance payments received earlier. Participants discuss the importance of registered sale agreements and proof of possession for tax purposes, advising to report advance payments as 'Advance' in tax filings if queried by the Income Tax department.

Thank you Mr Ranjan. You help clarified everything for me.

@ Lokesh

Glad to help, whenever  possible, with my limited knowledge of Indian Taxation maze.

I found this article. I think there is some change now? https://www.taxscan.in/advance-received-for-sale-of-property-is-taxable-under-income-from-other-sources-if-agreement-for-sale-is-not-registered-u-s-562ix-of-income-tax-act-itat/305713

@ Lokesh

I checked the TaxScan link you have mentioned. It is a news article about a ruling by ITAT, Mumbai. I cannot read the full news article as TaxScan asks for payment. I do not know, whether CBDT has made any modification to taxation rules based on that ITAT order.

But if this has been implemented, there should be provision for mentioning this in Schedule OS.

Special rate of tax has to be applied as it is supposed to be Capital gains. 

Also, the Section 56(2) of the Income Tax Act referred by ITAT is not about advance payment but about Property Transaction done below Market value. 

Under OS, your 70 lakh would attract 30% tax + 12.5% surcharge + 4% Cess, would become a huge amount.

So check thoroughly  from other sources as well before doing your filing and tax payments.

Mr Ranjan, Hope you are doing fine. I have a few minor follow up questions. Hope you dont mind.  As per your previous suggestion, I checked the AIS of last year and its reported under SFT-005. Do I need to show this advance amount in ITR. I am asking because if I dont then will it be consdered lack of compliance since the amount is already captured in AIS? Will I get a notice?

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accounts Executive

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

MBA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured ARTICLESHIP 06 October 2026
Semi Qualified

AJAY SINGH AND CO LLP

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
SALES TELECALLER

HIRE NOVA

Lucknow

Graduate (Any)

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 30 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

CA Suraj Garg & Associates

New Delhi

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 October 2026
Articled Assistant

KPSN & Associates LLP

Chennai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details