How to be a successful professional ?

Sanya Saxena (Manager) (38 Points)

10 December 2014  

Hi everyone, I just shared few interesting secrets to be a successful professional....

Everywhere you look on the Internet, you can see ideas for improving your life or achieving your goals. Regardless of what those goals are, it’s likely they somehow relate to being more successful… at school, at home, and even at work.

Any goal you might have can be reworded as “I want to be more successful with… ” Let’s say you want to lose weight. That would be, “I want to be more successful with my self-image and fitness.” Or how about getting that promotion at work? “I want to be more successful with my job and my boss’s opinion of me.”

The big question is how do you become more successful? For work, you’ve probably thought of goals such as a promotion or a raise. Or perhaps your goal is to be given more authority or responsibility. No matter what your goals are, here are few success secrets for achieving them:

1. Set concrete goals: No one, especially your boss, is going to be able to help you be successful if you don’t know what you want. Don’t say, “I don’t want to get bored,” or “I wish I could make more money.” Instead say, “If I take more responsibility for accounts payable, I should be able to convince my boss that I deserve a raise.” The key is the very specific goal of taking responsibility for accounts payable.

2. Don’t compare yourself to others: Only compare you to your past self. If you happen to overhear your co-worker on the phone saying, “I got that 4% raise I was hoping for,” don’t get all bent out of shape because you only got a 2% raise. Instead look at where you where you are now and where you need to be to get a 6-month raise of an additional 2%. Or what can you do to make next year be a 5% raise?

3. Don’t over-think: If you are considering taking on the added responsibility of, say, accounts payable, don’t spend all your time figuring out exactly what you will do with it and how you will change it. Just spend some time doing the job. It may be that something you want to change really isn’t the key issue you thought it was...read the remaining four....How to be a Successful Professional ?