Freelance lecturer in multiple colleges having tds from income what itr to use ?

After my retirement as a full time salaried lecturer/teacher, I do free lance lecturing and am attached to 3 colleges at which I teach graduate level students.  The income I earn from these colleges (monthly and by cheque) is subject to a 10% TDS.    The nature of payment is described as 194J as seen by me in Form 16A

Please advise which ITR is the one for me and if more than one are applicable which one will get me the maximum tax benefits

I do not maintain books of account but I do have expenses such as vehicle fuel expenses, books, magazines and stationery consumables

 

Thank you

Replies (4)
194j is for preofessional income.u should file itr 4

But can I claim presumptive profits under 44ADA as I do not seem to fall under any of the following

Persons engaged in any of the following professions:

 Legal, Medical, Engineering, Architecture, Accountancy, Technical consultancy, Interior decoration or other notified professionals (authorized representatives, Film Artists, Certain sports related persons, Company Secretaries and Information technology)

 

please advise!

Just because your TDS is deducted under section 194J, does not make you a professional. Therefore instead of opting for 44ADA you should prepare proper books of account and Fil ITR 3 accordingly.

Thank you all.

I could possibly keep books for the current year ….However, my question was for filing my returns for AY 2019-20 (can't change the past now!)  

I also called up the Income tax helpline and they advised ITR 1

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
09 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Aviv Global Private Limited

Ahmedabad

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Article Assistant

SGNG & Associates

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartared Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details