Export and re-import of personal items for REPAIRS w/o waybill

While living overseas I had purchased a wrist watch, specific to my line of work, that I carried back with me as I moved back to India. There was a mechanical issue with this wrist watch, which meant that I have to send it for repairs back to their service center.

Now I did try to consult with customs agents in Mumbai before lockdown (with no conclusive answers) as well as sent emails to customs commissioner's office, and to the best of their explanation they gave me the following reply if I were to "export" my broken wrist watch back to service center and "re-import it". I didn't say "re-export" because I haven't imported this wrist watch to India; as I was using it as a personal item long before I moved to India, I don't know how to classify scenario as import, unless I had ordered it via FedEx/UPS and had a valid waybill. Anyhow, the reply I received from Courier Ce ll in Mumbai,

"In this regard, it is informed that all the details pertaining to the re-import of goods that were exported for repairs etc has been detailed in the Notification 45/2017-Customs dated 30.06.2017, which Seeks to grant exemption to re-import of goods exported under duty drawback, rebate of duty or under bond on or after the 1st July 2017."

From one of my previous correspondences, I also received the following recommendation for the case I fall under by Courier Ce ll,

"under IS.L (2) of notification no. 45/2017-Customs dated 30.06.2017 and as per serial no. 1 (d) that is under bond without payment of duty thereon"


I've two questions:

1. How do I send this wrist watch back to service center and avoid complications that would arise during re-import in reference to custom duty that would be levied, as this watch is repaired and dispatched from service center back to India? To be honest, there is no definitive outline about what would happen for repair-and-return scenarios for personal items that one might have carried with them during overseas stay and/or travels. Hopefully this should serve as precedent to anyone in India trying to send their personal items for repairs that they might have purchased from outside or even within India w/o waybill for duty drawback.

2. Could someone kindly elaborate on "that is under bond without payment of duty thereon" in reference to my scenario or even in general?

Thanks for reading so far anyways. Any clarity/suggestion would be truly appreciated.

Attached: Copy of correspondence with Customs Office

 


Attached File : 3270801 20210101191341 scanned 20210101 1908.pdf downloaded: 111 times
Replies (1)

Under Bond without payment of duty means  you need to execute a Bond with the Customs authorities that you will re import the  same item which you are exporting, if you executed such bond and you re import the same item which you had exported for re pair then you will not be required to pay Integrated Tax ( as per the said Notification).Integrated Tax in view is IGST, but you need to pay Basic Customs duty and Social welfare surcharge 10% of the basic when you import.

In my view you need to export the watch with full declaration in  all  Pre- shipping documents that the item is being exported for Repair and Return.You need to have the item fully examined by the Customs and examination report MUST BE prepared by the Customs with Item number  mentioned on the watch to identify that  the item which was exported is being imported.

 

You need to pay Customs duty on the Freight and Insurance amount only and not on the value of the item if it is proved that the Item exported is being re imported.You may need to submit to the Customs at the Time of Export a letter from you authorized dealer bank the the item is being exported  for Repair and Return so not foreign exchange involved ( Which earlier called GR waiver).

You may call  me if you need more details in this regards.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 04 September 2026
Accounts Executive

Hema Yashwanth & Associates

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Semi-Qualified Assitant

Subrahmanyam & Sivudu CA Firm

Hyderabad

CA Inter

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details