Export and re-import of personal items for REPAIRS w/o waybill

******* (1 Points)

01 January 2021  

While living overseas I had purchased a wrist watch, specific to my line of work, that I carried back with me as I moved back to India. There was a mechanical issue with this wrist watch, which meant that I have to send it for repairs back to their service center.

Now I did try to consult with customs agents in Mumbai before lockdown (with no conclusive answers) as well as sent emails to customs commissioner's office, and to the best of their explanation they gave me the following reply if I were to "export" my broken wrist watch back to service center and "re-import it". I didn't say "re-export" because I haven't imported this wrist watch to India; as I was using it as a personal item long before I moved to India, I don't know how to classify scenario as import, unless I had ordered it via FedEx/UPS and had a valid waybill. Anyhow, the reply I received from Courier Ce ll in Mumbai,

"In this regard, it is informed that all the details pertaining to the re-import of goods that were exported for repairs etc has been detailed in the Notification 45/2017-Customs dated 30.06.2017, which Seeks to grant exemption to re-import of goods exported under duty drawback, rebate of duty or under bond on or after the 1st July 2017."

From one of my previous correspondences, I also received the following recommendation for the case I fall under by Courier Ce ll,

"under IS.L (2) of notification no. 45/2017-Customs dated 30.06.2017 and as per serial no. 1 (d) that is under bond without payment of duty thereon"

I've two questions:

1. How do I send this wrist watch back to service center and avoid complications that would arise during re-import in reference to custom duty that would be levied, as this watch is repaired and dispatched from service center back to India? To be honest, there is no definitive outline about what would happen for repair-and-return scenarios for personal items that one might have carried with them during overseas stay and/or travels. Hopefully this should serve as precedent to anyone in India trying to send their personal items for repairs that they might have purchased from outside or even within India w/o waybill for duty drawback.

2. Could someone kindly elaborate on "that is under bond without payment of duty thereon" in reference to my scenario or even in general?

Thanks for reading so far anyways. Any clarity/suggestion would be truly appreciated.

Attached: Copy of correspondence with Customs Office