Epf withdrawal/transfer dilemma

Hi All,

I have questions regarding EPF withdrawal. I resigned from my organisation in 2012 and went for higher education and since then I have not claimed my EPF. This year I would resume work in April on completion of my degree. I want to know whether I should withdraw or transfer my EPF money given the following facts.

1) I believe that any EPF money is taxable if withdrawn before 5 years (as in my case) but as I was not working from 2012 in financial year 2013-14 my EPF money of about 50K would not be taxable.

2) My organisation was not employee friendly and I don't want to continue hassling with them for transfer.

Kindly suggest which option to take.

Replies (1)

Hi Shubam

As per Rule 8 of Part A to the First Schedule, your epf balance is taxable. It is very clear and there is no point in saying that your epf is not taxable being worked for less than 5 years.

If you don't have any intention of working for 5 more years somewhere you can withdraw the amount.

Otherwise it is better to withdraw after 5 years of continuous service.

 

The additional tax will be like this:

Tax will be calculated for the working years as if your epf is not recognised epf (80C deduction won't be allowed) - Tax already paid for the working years

 

The difference amount is the tax you need to bear.

 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Aviv Global Private Limited

Ahmedabad

CA

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details