entry

guest (student)     06 May 2008

student 
 1 likes  109 points

| My Other Post

Q: 1)       provision for taxaion @ 20% is to be made on net profit.

2)            create a provision for depreciation @ 10% on current value of future.

value of furniture is Rs.200000

3) received interest on fixed deposite with S.B.I of Rs.17690. TDS is deducted @ 20%

please make the above accounting entries, with descripttion.

avater

M.Sriram Shenoy (CA Final)     07 May 2008

M.Sriram Shenoy
CA Final 
 13 likes  814 points

View Profile | My Other Post

Entry for first question :

DEBIT      P & L (OR) P & L Appropriation A/c.
CREDIT   Provision for Taxation A/c.

Since provision for tax is an outstanding liability, such account is credited and it will appear on the liability side of the balance sheet.

Entry for second question :

DEBIT       Depreciation A/c.
CREDIT    Provision for Depreciation (OR) Accumulated Depreciation A/c.

Usually, while giving effect to depreciation, Depreciation account is debited and Fixed Asset account will be credited. But, in this case, Provision for depreciation or Depreciation Fund account will be credited.

Each year, the amount of depreciation gets accumulated into the account, which shall appear on the liability side of balance sheet,or for disclosure purposes, the same can be shown as a deduction from the gross block of fixed assets on the asset side of balance sheet.

Entry for third question :

DEBIT      Bank  A/c.
DEBIT      TDS Receivable A/c.
CREDIT   Interest on Fixed Deposits  A/c.

Interest on Fixed deposit is an income for us which is credited and the amount of TDS deducted on it is an asset (or in a broader sense, it is a receivable) which is debited. But bank account will be debited with the amount which is actually received by us, i-e after TDS.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »