Query on income from house property

Devendra Prasad Bolusani (Vice President Delivery)   (25 Points)

26 February 2015  

I own 2 Flats (Apartments) in Bengaluru for which I have taken home loans and both of them are rented out.  Due to my work, I live in Bengaluru in a rented flat.  I know that I can claim HRA exemption for the rent I am paying in Hyderabad.  I also know that I can claim interest on home loans as tax benefit.  2 Questions in this regard

1. In case of 1 home loan (the home which I had lived in for 5 years and can be considered as Self-Occupied), the interest on the home loan is anyhow less than 1.5 lakhs per annum.  Now, I am earning rent amount on this.  Should I compute the income from house property with the Gross Annual Value = to Rent Amount and claim Municipal Taxes and Maintenance benifit?

2. My company's payroll system does not consider Income from House Property.  However, it does consider 2 line items of Interest on Home Loan for deduction with the 1st line item allowing a maximum of 1.5 lakhs and 2nd unlimited.  In this case, if I compute the income from house property on 1st house considering the rent amount, I end up having more income and thus needing to pay tax.  On the 2nd house, I end up getting tax exemption.  Now, can I sum both the results and give 1 amount to my company stating it to be Interest on Home Loan and give a statement of both the computations (as below table) to my company?  Is there any better way for my company to consider the same so that I do not end up in claiming a tax refund?

Income from HP Computation Self-Occupied Let Out
Gross Annual Value Rs.275,000 Rs.156,000
Less: Municipal Taxes Rs.4,439 Rs.5,575
Net Adjusted Annual Value Rs.270,561 Rs.150,425
Less: Deduction under Sec 24 Rs.81,168 Rs.45,128
Net Annual Value Rs.189,393 Rs.105,298
Less: Interest on Borrowed Capital Rs.112,133 Rs.304,407
Total Deduction Rs.77,260 (Rs.199,110)