Clarification on ITR - Foreign Asset Declaration for ESOPs

I need some guidance regarding the disclosure of foreign assets in my ITR.

I hold foreign company stocks through ESOPs. When they vest, the value is taxed as part of my salary, and this is already reflected in Form 12/Form 16 provided by my employer. In earlier years, my previous CA advised me that since tax was already paid and I had not sold the shares, there was no need to declare them in the Schedule FA section. Accordingly, I did not include them in past ITRs.

However, this year I consulted a different CA, who has advised that all foreign assets should in fact be reported in Schedule FA.

My concerns are:

  1. For FY23 and FY24, the vested stocks were already taxed and shown in Form 16, but were not declared in Schedule FA. Should I now only declare the FY25 vested stocks, or should I also include the details of FY23 and FY24 in the current AY25–26 filing?

  2. If I need to declare earlier years’ vested stocks now, should the acquisition date reflect the actual vesting year (FY23/FY24) or can it all be shown under FY25?

  3. If I disclose everything now, will this trigger any issue or notice for not declaring in earlier ITRs, even though tax has already been paid on vesting?

  4. Is there any risk of penalty, given that this was not intentional and I have already paid the required tax on vesting?

I want to ensure I handle this correctly without making major mistakes, since there was no intent to hide these assets. Please guide me on the right approach to resolve this properly.

Thanks in advance.

Replies (1)
  1. Total holding as on 31st march...
  2. FY 2023-24, actual year
  3.  Little chance...
  4. Not much anticipated for just non-declaration.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Assistant

Malhotra Rajesh & Associates

New Delhi

B.Com

View Details