Claiming section 89 benefit for leave encashment during service

I wish to claim relief u/s 89 for leave encashment during service. Due to inclusion of lumpsum amount in my income for FY 2016-17, I fall in 30 % bracket while I paid tax @ 20 % in earlier years. How can I bifurcate the lumpsum amount to earlier years ? Is there any thumb rule like 1/3 in previous 3 years etc. ? Kindly guide.
Replies (2)

Generally divided as per the number of leaves earned in each year.

Hi Dilip, Thanks for your query. One thing I understand from your query is that claiming relief is only helpful when the tax slab for the year of Earning the leaves is lower than slabs of year in which  encashment is credited. This helped.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
08 October 2026
SALES TELECALLER

HIRE NOVA

Lucknow

Graduate (Any)

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 October 2026
Articled Assistant

KPSN & Associates LLP

Chennai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
Accounts and Tax Associate

POOJA R TELI & CO

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
Account Executive

Elite Taxation

New Delhi

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details