Capital Gains Tax: Registration Date Vs. Allotment date

Dear CAs,

I was allotted industrial land in 2010 from SIDCO. SIDCO's clause stated that I needed to construct a building and install some machinery. Only then will the land be registered to me. The place has been in our possession since 2010.

In 2013 we completed the construction and it costed 15 Lakh rupees.

In 2014 the land was registered to me by the area's sub-registrar's office.

In 2023, I sold the land with shed for 33 Lakh rupees.

My question is:

Can I add my construction cost as "Cost of improvement" when calculating the Capital Gains tax now? I ask this because I spent money on construction (in 2013) even before the plot was registered to me (2014).

Thank you.

Replies (2)
Quick Summary
A business owner received industrial land in 2010, with registration contingent on building construction. Construction was completed in 2013, and the land was officially registered in 2014. The land was later sold in 2023. The owner is seeking clarification on whether the construction costs incurred before the official registration date can be claimed as an improvement cost for Capital Gains Tax purposes.

The date of registration of the land will be the date on which the construction is completed

Dear Aman ji, Can he add his construction costs, when he calculate capital gain

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured ARTICLESHIP 06 October 2026
Semi Qualified

AJAY SINGH AND CO LLP

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 08 October 2026
ARTICLE TRAINEE

S.B.G. & CO. CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 03 October 2026
Accountant

A P Lodha and Associates

Jalna

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Trainee/ CMA Trainee

RMA And Associates LLP

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details