Can we avail exemption limit of 10lakh if already reg. in st

Rubul (Student) (151 Points)

24 September 2012  

Dear members Please explain if the assesee is liable to pay service tax in following case.

Mr. A (prop. concern) is providing taxable service of repair of cellular phone/Mobile. Mr. A is registered under Service Tax department. In the F.Y 2010-11 his taxable service is Rs.3000000/- for which he had already collected ST and same is paid to Govt. Now in the year 2011-12 Mr. A did not provided any taxable service i.e income form repair and service is NIL. Subsequently he filled nil return for 2011-12. Mr. A purchased a Building on 1.4.2010 and the same building is let out on 1.4.2011 to a commercial Co. XYZ ltd. for which he has received Rs.840000/- p.a (Rs70000 per month). Mr. A did not charge any service tax on renting of Immovable property. 

Now my question is wheather Mr.A is liable to charge service tax on rent of Immovable property since he is already registered in Service tax and his taxable service exceed 10 lakh in Previous Year hence notification regarding exemption to Small scale Service provider will not apply.

OR

Mr. A is NOT liable to charge service tax since renting of Immovable property is a new service which is not covered in ST-2. and the rented premises is also not registered in ST-2. Further his taxable service is NIL in F.Y 2011-12 for which he is registered in ST dept.

If Mr.A is liable to charge. Please tell me the procedure to tackle this situation as Mr.A has already filled NIL return.

In my opinion Mr.A is liable to charge ST. Members please prove me wrong because this is a real case and if SCN is served on Mr.A then he will have to pay a heavy amount. (interest+penalty)