Calculating tax when there are many portfolios of same fund??

Hi

I have done a lot of research on this topic but I couldn't find anything so I am turning to this forum of professionals.

thing is that I have 2-3 portfolios of exactly the same fund for most of my mutual funds in which I invested, since I used two apps for investing last FY. 

Now consider this case:

I have 2 folios for axis bluechip fund - regular growth

folio 1: 200 units purchased sep2018

folio 2: 500 units purchased Mar2019

Now I redeemed 100 units from folio 2 (since I redeemed from app 2) on Oct2019. Now for tax purpose we consider that units will be exhausted using FIFO but if we consider both folio as identical then 100 units will be consumed from folio 1 and gain will be considered long term equity gain but if both folios are considered different for tax purposes then units will be exhausted from folio 2 and gain will be considered as short term equity gain.

So, I need your help figuring out how to calculate gain in such cases and How to apply FIFO here??

Thanks

Replies (3)
Quick Summary
This discussion addresses the complexity of calculating capital gains tax when an investor holds multiple portfolios of the same mutual fund, often due to using different investment apps. The core issue is how the First-In, First-Out (FIFO) principle applies across these separate portfolios for tax purposes. Participants are seeking clarity on whether units are redeemed from the oldest purchase across all portfolios or if each portfolio is treated independently, which significantly impacts whether gains are classified as short-term or long-term.

In depository system, the investor can open and hold multiple demat accounts and in that case investor having more than one security / Demat account, FIFO method will be applied account wise.
Refer Circular No.768 DT. 24th June 1998 for more details.

But I think case of having multiple Demat account is different from having multiple portfolios of same mutual fund, please correct me if I'm wrong?

Also, this will highly increase the load of calculating tax payable on new small investors.

Thanks for your help

Multiple folios are like different accounts. I think FIFO method will be applied Folio wise although they belong to same fund.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
CA Articles

Kothari Jain Patil & Chartered Accountants

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Audit Executive

Thammana & Associates

Srikakulam

B.Com

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 30 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

CA Suraj Garg & Associates

New Delhi

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 04 September 2026
Accounts Executive

Hema Yashwanth & Associates

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details