Balance of goods coming in negative while using Basic Accounting equation

I was solving a question related to posting of Journal entry for given question. Out of curiosity, I tried to solve it using basic accounting equation i.e. Assets = Liability+ Capital. After completing it I found that Goods balance is in negative. I am sure that I have not made any mistake in it (file attached). Have i done something wrong during the process? If not what does the negative sign signify?

Solution:


Attached File : 3390089 20210516202052 account practice sheet.xlsx downloaded: 102 times
Replies (2)
Quick Summary
This discussion addresses a user's confusion when their goods balance appeared negative after applying the basic accounting equation (Assets = Liabilities + Capital). The explanation clarifies that when cash or goods are spent, retained earnings decrease, which is why the balance sheet still tallies. This reduction in assets is matched by a reduction in liabilities or equity.

Use Golden Rule

Asset= liability+capital is true. But when you spend cash or goods, the retained earning will reduce. That is why your balance sheet tallies. Assets reduce, your liabilities reduce. I hope you got it in the other problem as well.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Audit Executive

Thammana & Associates

Srikakulam

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
05 October 2026
Senior Accountant

Vision IT Peripherals Pvt Ltd

Mumbai

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 October 2026
Articled Assistant

KPSN & Associates LLP

Chennai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details