Analysis OF Housing Loan (Sec 80c and 24B)

CA Navin Jain (MANAGER (FINANCE & ACCOUNTS))   (11768 Points)

23 March 2011  

Q-1 What are Income tax benefits of taking a housing loan under EMI Plan?

First Equated monthly instalment (EMI) amount is to be divided into the principal and interest components. The repayment of principal amount of the loan can be claimed as a deduction under section 80C up to a maximum amount of 1 lakh. The repayment of the interest portion of the EMI is also allowed as a deduction under section 24 under the head “income from house property” upto 1,50,000/- for self occupied property and full amount in case of let-out property.

Q-2 If I buy a house jointly with my wife and take a joint home loan, Can we both claim income tax deduction?

Ans:-Yes, if your wife is working and has a separate source of income, both of you can claim separate deductions in your income tax returns.The repayment of principal amount of the loan can be claimed as a deduction under section 80C up to a maximum amount of 1 lakh individually by each co-owner.

In cases where the house is owned by more than one person and is also self-occupied by each co-owner, each co-owner shall be entitled to the deduction individually on account of interest on borrowed money up to a maximum amount of1.5 lakh. If the house is given on rent, there is no restriction on this amount. Both co-owners can claim deductions in the ratio of ownership.

Q-3 My husband and I have jointly taken a home loan. He pays 75 percent of the EMI. What will be our individual tax benefits?

Ans: – As you have taken a joint home loan, both of you are eligible for tax exemption for your share of the EMI paid. For claiming income tax deduction, the EMI amount is divided into the principal and interest components. The repayment of the principal amount of loan is claimed as a deduction under section 80C of the Income Tax Act up to a maximum amount of1lakh individually by each co-owner. The repayment of the interest portion of the EMI is also allowed as a deduction under section 24 of the Act, which is given under the head “income from house property”. In case you are living in the house for which home loan is taken, both of you shall be entitled to deduction in the ratio (3:1) on account of interest on borrowed money up to a maximum of1.5 lakh individually. If the house is given on rent, there is no restriction on this amount and both co-owners can claim deduction in the ratio of ownership- 3:1 in your case.

Q- I plan to buy a house by raising loans from friends and relatives. Will I be eligible for tax benefit from all sources?

Ans: – Interest payment to friends and relatives can be claimed u/s 24 but only against a certificate received from them. In the absence of the certificate, you would not be eligible for the deduction. The recipient of interest income who issues the certificate is liable to pay tax on the interest income that he receives. As far as the principal payments are concerned, they would not qualify for tax benefit as loans only from notified institutions and banks are eligible for such deductions.